Calculate change in entropy per minute.

In summary, the ice-water mixture absorbed 3910000 Joules of energy in one minute. The entropy of the ice-water mixture increased by 14314 Joules.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Q=T*change in entropy
So what I did was find the change in Q per min.

Mass melted per min * latent heat capacity = Q per min = 11.5 kg /min * 3.4*10^5 J/kg = 3910000 J/min

Now the equilibrium temperature is 100 degrees Celsius or 373.15 degrees kelvin.

If I do 3910000 J/min / 373.15 K I get 10478 J/(K*min).

This seems right to me because the units are consistent. J/K are the units for entropy and the 1/min is per min. Since the question is asking for the total change in 1 min, I can multiply it by 1 min and the answer remains the same, the minute units just cancel.

But the correct answer is 3839.77, which isn't what I got.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 106
Physics news on Phys.org
You correctly calculated the heat absorbed by the ice-water mixture in 1 minute. But you divided this heat by the temperature of the steam-water mixture. Why?

Is there a part of the system that has a decrease in entropy? If so, what quantities do you need to know in order to calculate the decrease in entropy of this part?

Which part of the system has an increase in entropy? What do you need to know to find this increase?

TSny said:
You correctly calculated the heat absorbed by the ice-water mixture in 1 minute. But you divided this heat by the temperature of the steam-water mixture. Why?

Is there a part of the system that has a decrease in entropy? If so, what quantities do you need to know in order to calculate the decrease in entropy of this part?

Which part of the system has an increase in entropy? What do you need to know to find this increase?
The heat absorbed by the ice-water mixture is the heat emitted by the steam-water mixture.

I divided it by temperature because that gives the right units and is consistent with the equation

Q=T*change in entropy

I suppose I need to find the temperature of the interphase maybe instead?

Here Id just assume its the average of the two temperatures, 50 celcius. But if I use 323.15 K in the eqn above I still get the wrong answer...

What is the entropy change ##\Delta S_1## of the ice-water mixture? Is ##\Delta S_1## positive or negative?

What is the entropy change ##\Delta S_2## of the steam-water mixture? Is ##\Delta S_2## positive or negative?

Likes JoeyBob
TSny said:
What is the entropy change ##\Delta S_1## of the ice-water mixture? Is ##\Delta S_1## positive or negative?

What is the entropy change ##\Delta S_2## of the steam-water mixture? Is ##\Delta S_2## positive or negative?
For the ice at 273.15 K, its being heated up (dQ/dt is positive). where here dQ/dt is per min (not second)

DeltaS=dQ/dt/T=3910000/273.15 = 14314

For the steam at 373.15, its being cooled down (dQ/dt is NEGATIVE)

-3910000/373.15 = -10478

Add them up and I get a total change of 3836... close enough, rounding error or whatever.

Thanks.

Likes TSny

1. What is entropy and why is it important?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is important because it helps us understand the direction of spontaneous processes and the efficiency of energy conversion.

2. How do you calculate change in entropy per minute?

To calculate change in entropy per minute, you need to know the initial and final entropy values of the system. The change in entropy is then calculated by subtracting the initial value from the final value, and dividing by the time interval in minutes.

3. What are the units of entropy change per minute?

The units of entropy change per minute are joules per kelvin per minute (J/K/min).

4. Can entropy change per minute be negative?

Yes, entropy change per minute can be negative. A negative change in entropy indicates a decrease in disorder or an increase in order in the system.

5. How is entropy change per minute related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. Entropy change per minute is a measure of this increase in disorder or randomness within a system.