pressure liquid

by batballbat
Tags: liquid, pressure
batballbat
Nov26-11, 08:36 AM
P: 127
what would the pressure of liquid at a depth be in a container which is slanted?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
batballbat
Nov26-11, 08:41 AM
i suspect [tex] h.d.g.sinAngle [/tex]. correct me if i am wrong
russ_watters
Nov26-11, 10:04 AM
Mentor
P: 22,001
No, the shape of the container is irrelevant.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_statics

batballbat
Nov26-11, 10:11 AM

pressure liquid

in the derivation of the pressure of liquid, the weight is assumed to act perpendicular to the column of liquid. Plz comment
russ_watters
Nov26-11, 01:24 PM
Mentor
Gravity pulls straight down, so...
batballbat
Nov26-11, 08:54 PM
of course but i find similar case to the inclined plane. can somebody give a reasoning?
russ_watters
Nov27-11, 01:36 AM
Mentor
What do you find similar about an inclined plane? What is YOUR reasoning?
batballbat
Nov29-11, 11:05 PM
somebody reply
Doc Al
Nov30-11, 04:33 AM
Mentor
P: 40,889
The pressure depends on the depth beneath the surface, which is not slanted. As already stated, the shape of the container--whether slanted or vertical--is irrelevant.

If you want more, give a specific example of what you have in mind with a diagram.
russ_watters
Nov30-11, 06:44 AM
Mentor
Sorry, we don't spoonfeed here. If you want to learn/want help, you need to show some effort at trying to figure it out for yourself. Then when you make a wrong turn, we'll nudge you back in the right direction.
batballbat
Nov30-11, 07:25 AM
wouldnt this imply that the liquid would accelerate at g in slanted tubes?
Doc Al
Nov30-11, 07:54 AM
Mentor
P: 40,889
Quote Quote by batballbat View Post
No. Please describe exactly what you have in mind. Are you talking about hydrostatic pressure? (Which is what I assumed.) Or fluid dynamics?
russ_watters
Nov30-11, 11:40 AM
Mentor
g is acceleration due to gravity. If you block that acceleration, the required force is f=mg. Aka, weight.
DaveC426913
Nov30-11, 11:50 AM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by batballbat View Post
Since you're talking about pressure-at-depth then you're talking about a container full of fluid (as opposed to, say, an air-filled container with an amount of water placed in it).

Water suspended in water is neutrally buoyant, so its not like some arbitrary mass of water is going to start sliding to the bottom, accelerating under gravity.
batballbat
Nov30-11, 11:55 PM
No. Please describe exactly what you have in mind. Are you talking about hydrostatic pressure? (Which is what I assumed.) Or fluid dynamics?

I am not familiar with the terms but i guess you are asking whether i am talking about stationary fluids or flowing ones. Eg. in an inclined plane, there is a mass a top, even though its weight acts exactly downward, it would rather move along the plane. And the force with with it moves along the plane is lesser according to its slope. Same for liquids. But as dave said while the liquid is continuous and stationary, the force with with a finite upper part of liquid exerts on the lower part will be the same as for the case of liquids in vertical column. This is not clear to me.

Eg. lets take a column of liquid standing upright and pour some water into it. And then slant it a bit. Then the depth of the liquid increases even though it is not continuous on the upper part (i hope this is understood). So as the depth increases although not uniformly, the pressure in one side must increase. Help me out with this.
D H
Dec1-11, 02:51 AM
Mentor
P: 14,459
Pascal's vases:

Another set:

Notice that no matter how weird the shape, the tops of the liquid surfaces in the different containers are at the same level. The pressure difference in some container from bottom to top does not depend on shape. It depends only the height of the liquid.
batballbat
Dec1-11, 05:21 AM
i havent learned any of hydrodynamics or hydrostatics. So i think this phenomenon is taken as as true. Is there a proof for it?
D H
Dec1-11, 05:25 AM
Mentor
P: 14,459
The diagram and image (real) I posted in post #16 are pretty solid evidence. Hydraulic pumps rely on this principle.

Register to reply