Model the pressure of a zero-gravity simple fluid system

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium free surface of a circular cylinder filled with an inviscid liquid, which is softly disturbed and has no body forces. The equilibrium surface is a spherical cap with radius R and is described by the Young-Laplace equation. If the base of the cylinder is open, the pressure in the liquid domain may include a reservoir pressure from the inflow. The shape of the interface is determined by the contact angle and can be concave or convex depending on the liquid's hydrophilicity or hydrophobicity. Without body forces, the equilibrium interface will always be curved according to the contact angle.
member 428835
Hi PF!

A circular cylinder contains an inviscid liquid, which is softly disturbed (i.e. velocities are small). There are no body forces, which implies the equilibrium free surface is that of a spherical cap with radius ##R## (see figure A). Inviscid implies we can assume potential flow, such that the liquid velocity ##V## can be expressed in terms of it's potential such that ##V = \nabla \psi##. The pressure throughout the liquid domain is ##P = -\nabla \psi## (recall velocities are small, so the non-linear term drops). The pressure at the free surface is governed by the Young-Laplace equation, which implies ##P \sim \sigma/R^2## there (actually this pressure term turns out to be VERY mathematically complicated, which is why I simply use the proportional notation). So the pressure balance at the free surface can be expressed by equating the two pressures at the interface.

Now let's assume the base of the cylinder is open such that flow can enter, shown in B). What is the pressure now in the liquid domain? I believe it is no longer ##P = -\nabla \psi##, but may also include a reservoir pressure from the inflow. How would you model this, given the small disturbance of the transient interface from equilibrium is some function ##\xi(x,y,z,t)##? There's a way I've been shown, but it doesn't intuitively make sense to me. Any help? Seems like @Chestermiller might know this one?
IMG_5153.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that, without gravity, the equilibrium shape will be as you have drawn it?

Without body forces surface tension dictates the displacement. According to the Young-Laplace equation the radii of curvature will be equal to minimize energy. I drew it this way for some contact angle, which looks hydrophilic, but for sure it could be anything which changes the shape of the interface but maintains the spherical cap shape.

It seems to me the cap should be convex. After all, the liquid will form a sphere if it is small.

Chestermiller said:
It seems to me the cap should be convex. After all, the liquid will form a sphere if it is small.
The liquid forms a sphere if it's in a pool of gas, but gas would also form a sphere if in a pool of liquid.

Ultimately this comes down to contact angle. If the liquid is hydrophilic (silicone oil on glass) we'd expect concave; if it's hydrophobic (mercury on glass) we expect convex. I assume the open flow scenario of B) is occurring slow enough that the shape remains spherical.

joshmccraney said:
The liquid forms a sphere if it's in a pool of gas, but gas would also form a sphere if in a pool of liquid.

Ultimately this comes down to contact angle. If the liquid is hydrophilic (silicone oil on glass) we'd expect concave; if it's hydrophobic (mercury on glass) we expect convex. I assume the open flow scenario of B) is occurring slow enough that the shape remains spherical.
I think the contact angle is an effect localized to the region near the wall. If there were no wall, the glob of fluid would be a sphere.

Chestermiller said:
I think the contact angle is an effect localized to the region near the wall. If there were no wall, the glob of fluid would be a sphere.
Without body forces, equilibrium is only achieved when all free surfaces have the same radius of curvature. Otherwise there will be a force imbalance according to the Young-Laplace equation. But for large scales (say well beyond the capillary length scale) in gravity, I agree with your statement, and in fact the interface will be approximately flat everywhere.

But here we consider no body forces, so the equilibrium interface will always be curved according to the contact-angle.

1. What is a zero-gravity simple fluid system?

A zero-gravity simple fluid system is a system in which the force of gravity is negligible, meaning that it has little to no effect on the behavior of the fluid. This can occur in space or in a controlled environment on Earth, such as a drop tower or a parabolic flight.

2. How is pressure defined in this type of system?

In a zero-gravity simple fluid system, pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted by the fluid on its surroundings. This can be calculated using the ideal gas law, where pressure is equal to the product of the number of moles of gas, the gas constant, and the temperature, divided by the volume of the system.

3. What factors affect the pressure of a zero-gravity simple fluid system?

The pressure of a zero-gravity simple fluid system is affected by several factors, including the number of gas molecules present, the temperature of the system, and the volume of the system. Additionally, the type of gas or fluid being used can also impact the pressure.

4. How can the pressure of a zero-gravity simple fluid system be modeled?

The pressure of a zero-gravity simple fluid system can be modeled using mathematical equations, such as the ideal gas law or the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations take into account the various factors that affect pressure and can be used to predict the behavior of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of modeling the pressure of a zero-gravity simple fluid system?

Modeling the pressure of a zero-gravity simple fluid system has many practical applications, such as in the design and testing of space vehicles, understanding the behavior of fluids in microgravity environments, and studying the effects of extreme conditions on materials and systems. It can also aid in the development of new technologies and processes for use in space exploration and research.