How to Create a Hand Crank for 24000rpm DC Motor

• Thread starter jhendren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crank hand
In summary, creating a handcrank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm is possible, but not practical. The 18V hobby motor from radioshack would require a 1:400 gearbox, which would significantly reduce the output torque. Most hand-crank generators utilize a motor with a lower speed and a 1:20 gearbox.
jhendren
I want to create a handcrank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm. The DC motor is an 18V hobby motor from radioshack. Is this possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Possible yes, practical no.

You'll never be able to crank it fast enough with practically sized gearing.

If you figured you would be able to spin a hand crank at about 60rpm (1 rev/sec), that means you'll need a 1:400 gearbox to step up the speed (and it will reduce your output torque by a factor of 400 as well). My guess is most hand-crank generators utilize a motor which spins at a couple of thousand rpm at most, meaning the gearbox is on the order of 1:20 or so.

1. How do I determine the necessary gear ratio for a hand crank attached to a 24000rpm DC motor?

The necessary gear ratio can be determined by dividing the desired output speed (24000rpm) by the input speed of the hand crank. For example, if the hand crank turns at 120rpm, the gear ratio would be 200:1 (24000/120 = 200).

2. What type of gears should be used for a hand crank attached to a 24000rpm DC motor?

For high-speed applications, it is recommended to use helical or spur gears with a high gear ratio. These types of gears are designed to handle high speeds and can be found in most industrial gear catalogs.

3. How can I ensure the hand crank is securely attached to the 24000rpm DC motor?

The hand crank should be securely attached to the motor shaft using a coupling or gear reducer. It is important to properly align the hand crank and motor shaft to prevent any misalignment or damage to the gears.

4. What materials are best for constructing a hand crank for a 24000rpm DC motor?

The hand crank can be made from a variety of materials such as metal, plastic, or wood. It is important to choose a material that is strong enough to handle the speed and torque of the motor, as well as lightweight for ease of use.

5. How can I control the speed of the hand crank for a 24000rpm DC motor?

The speed of the hand crank can be controlled by adjusting the gear ratio or using a variable speed control device. Additionally, the user can adjust the speed by changing the amount of force applied to the hand crank.