Motor Choice for Belt Movement: Stepper vs DC

In summary, a BLDC motor with controller is a better choice than a DC motor with a gearbox because it has better performance and is cheaper.
kolleamm
I want to move a belt quickly with a geared motor and with a high torque. Given a limited space, what would be better?
1.Stepper with a gear box
or
2.DC motor with a gear box? (Both gearboxes would be the same ratio)

I believe the answer is a DC motor with a gearbox but I need someone to confirm this.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
My choice would be a BLDC motor with controller. They are being sold today to make electric motorcycles and motor scooters.

On a smaller scale, they are used in drone quadcopters.

But you give us little to go on. How much power? torque? space?

anorlunda said:
My choice would be a BLDC motor with controller. They are being sold today to make electric motorcycles and motor scooters.

On a smaller scale, they are used in drone quadcopters.

But you give us little to go on. How much power? torque? space?
Thanks for your reply,
We need to be able to pull about 3kg of weight upward. The space allowed is on the order of inches.
Similar to a motor like this :

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema-17-stepper-motor-bipolar-l48mm-w-gear-raio-511-planetary-gearbox-17hs19-1684s-pg51.html?search=17hs19-1684s

The size of the pulley used should be no more than 1 inch in diameter.

Last edited:
A BLDC motor and a stepper motor are nearly the same thing. The stepper is more expensive because of the more complex magnetics to allow "steps". So, there's no point IMO of using a stepper unless you want to use the stepping features (i.e. parking at known spots, or counting steps). The drive electronics for steppers is sometimes pretty low performance because many applications don't require high performance, just "move to the next step". It doesn't have to be that way, they can be driven to high performance also.

I agree with @anorlunda, BLDC will have better performance than a DC motor, but that is mostly because you will also want to buy more expensive electronics to run it properly.

Likes Merlin3189
I forgot to mention that we need to move the belt at a relatively high speed. On the order of inches per second.

1. What is the difference between a stepper motor and a DC motor?

A stepper motor is a type of motor that moves in small, precise steps. It is controlled by sending electrical pulses to the motor, which causes it to rotate a specific amount. On the other hand, a DC motor rotates continuously when power is applied to it and can be controlled by varying the amount of voltage or current.

2. Which motor is better for belt movement, a stepper motor or a DC motor?

The choice between a stepper motor and a DC motor for belt movement depends on the specific application. Stepper motors are better for applications that require precise control and positioning, while DC motors are better for applications that require continuous rotation and variable speed control.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a stepper motor for belt movement?

The advantages of using a stepper motor for belt movement include precise control, high torque at low speeds, and the ability to hold a position without power. However, they can be more expensive and may not be suitable for high-speed applications.

4. Can a stepper motor be used for both linear and rotary motion?

Yes, a stepper motor can be used for both linear and rotary motion. For linear motion, the motor is connected to a lead screw or threaded rod, which translates the rotational movement into linear movement. For rotary motion, the motor is directly connected to the shaft of the rotating object.

5. How do I choose the right motor for my belt movement application?

The best way to choose the right motor for your belt movement application is to consider the specific requirements of your project, such as speed, torque, and precision. You should also consider the cost and availability of the motor, as well as any additional components or control systems that may be needed. Consulting with a motor expert or doing thorough research can also help in making the best decision.