Simply Supported Beam Question

by MathsRetard09
Tags: beam, simply, supported
MathsRetard09
Dec5-11, 03:17 AM
P: 22
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question: Sketch the cross section of the gantry girder and indicate on it the position of the maximum bending stress. State if this stress is tensile or compressive for this particular example, explain how you decided

2. Relevant equations

There aren't any required

Relevant information however: The Beam is Hogging and the Maximum Bending Stress is positive

3. The attempt at a solution

I've sketched the cross-section and previously indicated the maximum bending stress on the top to indicate the tensile factor.

However this is wrong and instead is Compressive.

What i struggle with is explaining why this is the case.

.......|....|
.......|....|
____|....|____
|..................|

.......... [itex]\sigma[/itex]

This is the cross section with the sigma sign beneath to indicate the max bending stress is compressive.

Just to show visually what i've done.

I just need help explaining why it would be compressive / how i decided. Just to clarify, i didn't decide this, i was told by my tutor but i have to figure out why and theres nothing out there on the internet that discusses this.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
PhanthomJay
Dec5-11, 03:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 5,963
If a beam is 'hogging', it is deflecting upward, that is, it has upward curvature. This tends to expand (stretch) the topmost fibers and to compress (squeeze) the bottom fibers, as you can see by drawing a quick sketch. The top fibers would be in tension and the bottom fibers would be in compression. For a symmetric beam, these 2 stresses would be equal. If the beam is not symmetrical, which apparently is your case, the max stress occurs at the outmost fibers of the flange furthest from the neutral axis.

Register to reply