What is the Correct Electronegativity Values for Defining Bond Types?

In summary, sodium sulfide, has a polar covalent bond according to one source and a non-polar covalent bond according to another source. However, the threshold for polarity is not clear and there are still some gray areas.
RobinSky
I recently found a table of electronegativity differences, where certain differences where used to define certain types of bonds. However I found different values at different sites so I wonder if someone could help sort this out.

Link 1

http://www.files.chem.vt.edu/RVGS/ACT/notes/electronegativity

This is the values I used for comparing the bonds witihin the molecules but had to stop when I found new ones. Also found another one saying an electronnegativity difference of less than 0.4 (instead of 0.5) is nonpolar covalent bonds...

Link 2

http://www.mikeblaber.org/oldwine/chm1045/notes/Bonding/Polarity/Bond05.htm

This one is the most wierdet making huge value differences compared to what I have found more.

Link 3

http://www.chemteam.info/Bonding/Electroneg-Bond-Polarity.html

This one brought up new unmentioned "rules"

However further research with this just didnt make any sense.

Sodium sulfide, let's take the sulfide ion, they say that the S-O bond is COVALENT, HOW? The electronneg. diff. gives you 3.5-2.5=1 which is LARGER than 0.4(or 0.5 who ever is correct). How can this be a NONPOLAR covalent bond, I am just confused...

What is the correct values for electronnegativity?

Thanks in advance
Regards, Robin Andersson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The limit is 1.7-2 depending on sources. So if the electronegativity difference between the atoms is less or equal to 2, then the bond is rather covalent, except for metal ions (rule 4 in 3rd link). Whether the bond is polar/non-polar, the threshold is then 0.4/0.5. Where did you find that S-O bond is non-polar ? (SO or SO_2, the bonds are covalent and with hybridized orbitals).

dextercioby said:
The limit is 1.7-2 depending on sources. So if the electronegativity difference between the atoms is less or equal to 2, then the bond is rather covalent, except for metal ions (rule 4 in 3rd link). Whether the bond is polar/non-polar, the threshold is then 0.4/0.5.

I see, thanks a lot!

dextercioby said:
Where did you find that S-O bond is non-polar ? (SO or SO_2, the bonds are covalent and with hybridized orbitals).

I'm having troubles finding the URL again but it was from a reply from someone (at answers.yahoo) while I was googling around on covalent, sulfide, oxygen and such.

So the S-O bond is a polar-covalent bond as I first suspected? And not a non-polar covalent bond?

"2. If the ΔEN is between 0.5 and 1.6, the bond is considered polar covalent"

S-O ΔEN is 1.0.

Thanks for the reply, it is really appreciated because I'm trying to solve out any of the left over riddles now before my preliminary examination next week in this chemistry course.

SO_2 has a dipole moment, it's a polar molecule according to the general rule, as well as according to <Inorganic Chemistry> by J.E. House, page 345. (Elsevier, 2008).

Please note that bond classification (ionic vs covalent) is not too precise, and that electronegativity difference is just a rule of thumb. So you deal with two approximate concepts, no wonder there are some gray areas.

Thanks guys! I also had the chance to talk to a phd student in organic chemistry today so I really got this now. Seems like the first source I read regarding the S-O bond was wrong then, thanks! :)

1. What is electronegativity?

Electronegativity is a measure of the tendency of an atom to attract electrons towards itself in a chemical bond. It is based on the concept that all atoms desire to achieve a stable outer electron configuration.

2. How is electronegativity measured?

Electronegativity is measured using a scale called the Pauling scale, with values ranging from 0.7 to 4.0. The higher the electronegativity value, the stronger an atom's tendency to attract electrons in a bond.

3. What are polar and nonpolar bonds?

A polar bond is formed when two atoms with different electronegativity values bond together, causing an unequal sharing of electrons. This results in a partial positive charge on one end of the bond and a partial negative charge on the other. A nonpolar bond is formed when two atoms with similar electronegativity values bond together, resulting in an equal sharing of electrons and no separation of charges.

4. How does electronegativity affect the type of bond formed?

If the electronegativity difference between two atoms is greater than 1.7, an ionic bond is formed. If the difference is less than 1.7 but greater than 0.3, a polar covalent bond is formed. If the difference is less than 0.3, a nonpolar covalent bond is formed.

5. What is the relationship between bond length and electronegativity?

The higher the electronegativity difference between two atoms, the shorter the bond length. This is because in bonds with a higher electronegativity difference, the electrons are more strongly attracted to one atom, resulting in a shorter bond length.