Register to reply

Resulting directions and velocities of two circles colliding

Share this thread:
yortzec
Dec8-11, 08:38 PM
P: 5
Hi everybody,

I am trying to find the resulting x and y velocities when two moving circles (particles) which are exactly the same and are in the same plane, collide. They are not (necessarily) hitting head on. I am trying to implement this in a 2d computer simulation.

I have the x and y velocities and coordinates of the two particles, but I have not taken a physics class, and most formulas I can find online involve vectors-- I don't entirely understand vectors and can't figure out how vectors can be converted to and from x and y velocities.

Is there a formula to find resulting x and y velocities given the original x and y velocities and the coordinates of the circles at the exact point when the circles meet?

Thank you so much for your help.

-yortzec

EDIT: This post has been moved.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
JHamm
Dec9-11, 07:52 AM
P: 389
You'll need two things for this; first momentum is conserved (a quick search will do better than any explanation I could quickly type here) and secondly the angles of deflection will be equal to the angles of approach as measured from the point of contact and perpendicular to the tangent of the circles at that point (image might make it a bit clearer)

yortzec
Dec9-11, 09:05 PM
P: 5
That is extremely helpful!! Amazing how unnecessarily confusing Wikipedia was when really the answer was that short. Thank you so much, JHamm, I'll try to implement this.

Register to reply