Resulting directions and velocities of two circles colliding

• Thread starter yortzec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resulting x and y velocities when two moving circles collide in a 2d computer simulation. The speaker has the initial velocities and coordinates of the circles, but is struggling to understand how to convert this information into vectors. The expert advises that momentum is conserved and the angles of deflection will equal the angles of approach from the point of contact. This simple explanation helps the speaker understand the problem better and they express gratitude for the help.
yortzec
Hi everybody,

I am trying to find the resulting x and y velocities when two moving circles (particles) which are exactly the same and are in the same plane, collide. They are not (necessarily) hitting head on. I am trying to implement this in a 2d computer simulation.

I have the x and y velocities and coordinates of the two particles, but I have not taken a physics class, and most formulas I can find online involve vectors-- I don't entirely understand vectors and can't figure out how vectors can be converted to and from x and y velocities.

Is there a formula to find resulting x and y velocities given the original x and y velocities and the coordinates of the circles at the exact point when the circles meet?

Thank you so much for your help.

-yortzec

EDIT: This post has been moved.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need two things for this; first momentum is conserved (a quick search will do better than any explanation I could quickly type here) and secondly the angles of deflection will be equal to the angles of approach as measured from the point of contact and perpendicular to the tangent of the circles at that point (image might make it a bit clearer)

15oyt1d.png

That is extremely helpful! Amazing how unnecessarily confusing Wikipedia was when really the answer was that short. Thank you so much, JHamm, I'll try to implement this.

1. How do you calculate the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding?

The resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. The velocities and masses of the two circles before and after the collision are used to determine the resulting direction and velocity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding?

The formula for calculating the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding is:

(m1v1 + m2v2)/(m1 + m2) = vresult

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two circles, and v1 and v2 are their velocities before the collision. vresult is the resulting velocity of the two circles after the collision.

3. What factors can affect the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding?

The resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding can be affected by factors such as the masses and velocities of the two circles, the angle at which they collide, and any external forces acting on the system. Friction and other types of resistance can also affect the resulting direction and velocity.

4. Can the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding be predicted with 100% accuracy?

No, the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. This is because there are many variables and factors that can affect the outcome of the collision, and some of them may be difficult to measure or account for.

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of calculating the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding. This concept is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports, to understand and predict the motion of objects and systems. It is also essential in the design of safety features in cars and other forms of transportation.