Resulting directions and velocities of two circles colliding

• Thread starter yortzec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the resulting x and y velocities when two circles with the same mass and size collide in the same plane. The conversation mentions using vectors and the kinetic energy formula, but it is unclear how to convert these to x- and y-velocities in a general formula. The solution to this problem has been solved before, and can be found by researching elastic collisions in two dimensions.
yortzec

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the resulting x and y velocities when two moving circles (particles) which are exactly the same in mass and size and are in the same plane, collide, given the x and y velocities and coordinates of the two particles.

What is the formula for the resulting x and y velocities given the original x and y velocities and the coordinates of the circles at the exact point when the circles meet?

Homework Equations

The following formulas show the math for two particles using vectors and given the mass, but I don't know the mass off the particles, just that they are the same. Also, I am confused on how to convert vectors in a general formula to x- and y-velocities.

elastic_collision_18.png

The kinetic energy is below, I don't know if this helps:

elastic_collision_19.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above formulas, and assigning a generic mass of 1g, I obtained two vectors which seemed to work. But how can I convert this to x- and y-coordinates in a formula?

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Spinnor. I see that if we add, say, the original x-velocities together, we get the sum x-velocity of both of the circles. However, the circles do not move the same direction after they collide. I am having trouble deriving the addends (the final x-velocities for each). For example, can find SOME NUMBER in this:

x1 + x2 = SOME NUMBER.

But how do I find x1 given this?

1. What is the resulting direction of two circles colliding?

The resulting direction of two circles colliding is determined by the angle of impact between the circles. If the circles collide head-on, the resulting direction will be the same as the original direction. If the circles collide at an angle, the resulting direction will be a combination of the original directions.

2. How is the resulting velocity of two circles colliding calculated?

The resulting velocity of two circles colliding is calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy principles. The mass and velocity of each circle before and after the collision are taken into account to determine the resulting velocity.

3. Can the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding be predicted?

Yes, the resulting direction and velocity of two circles colliding can be predicted using mathematical equations. However, the accuracy of the prediction may vary depending on the complexity of the collision.

4. What happens to the resulting direction and velocity if the circles have different masses?

If the circles have different masses, the resulting direction and velocity will be affected. The larger and more massive circle will have a greater influence on the resulting direction and velocity compared to the smaller and less massive circle.

5. Are there any real-life applications of studying the resulting directions and velocities of two circles colliding?

Yes, understanding the resulting directions and velocities of two circles colliding has real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. For example, it can be used to predict the trajectory of objects colliding in a car crash or the resulting motion of a billiard ball after it hits another ball on a pool table.