Register to reply

Plotting electric field lines of a dipole

by silverfox
Tags: dipole, electric field lines, plot
Share this thread:
silverfox
Dec11-11, 11:17 AM
P: 2
I was given this equation as the lines of electric fields of a dipole(two opposite charges separated by a finite distance)
e=(1/r^3)*((3cos^2(theta)-1)^2 +sin^2(2theta))^0.5
and I was asked to plot it.
I guess it must be something like this:

but when I try to plot it in wolframalpha.com in polar coords.I dont get the output I expect.
The question is is it the right equation?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
sandy.bridge
Dec11-11, 01:19 PM
P: 778
Hmm, I also graphed it with wolfram, and it appears to not follow the characteristics of a dipole. It more appears to follow the characteristics of the electric field for like charges, rather than unlike.
I like Serena
Dec11-11, 04:17 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,189
Welcome to PF, silverfox!

I checked what the equation is for an electric dipole and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole#...lectric_dipole

If I work this out in polar coordinates, I get a slightly different formula than the one you have for what appears to be the magnitude of the electric field.
(You can use that [itex]\mathbf{p} = qd\cos\theta \mathbf{\hat r} - qd\sin\theta \hat{\textbf{θ}}[/itex].)
Can it be that you or someone else made a calculation mistake?

silverfox
Dec21-11, 09:16 AM
P: 2
Plotting electric field lines of a dipole

I worked a bit more on the problem but I couldn't find an equation myself nor could plot the ones you said or I found on wikipedia...
I was told that if E(r, theta) is the first equation I wrote then E(r, theta, t) would be the same thing times sin(wt) but I dont get it, How does time affect the electric field lines?
And I also thought that p is a border between + and - charges in a dipole which is equal to qd and is a constant value am I wrong?
I like Serena
Dec21-11, 10:06 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,189
In the link I gave you can find an equation for E containing only p and r as variables.
If you substitute the p I gave in my post, you get E(r,θ).
The formula you gave in the OP looks like |E(r,θ)|, but it is not quite right.

It does not have a time dependency.
To make it time dependent, you would need to make the 2 charges time dependent.

p is the vector dipole moment, which is constant.
It is given by p=qd, where -q and +q are the charges, and d is the constant vector from the negative charge to the positive charge.

However, a constant vector is dependent on θ in polar coordinates, since the unit vectors change with θ.

Register to reply