Frustrated by this one exercise

• Thread starter chhan92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation is about proving that in a T_3 space, every prime z-filter is contained in a unique z-ultrafilter. The terms z-filter and z-ultrafilter are defined and the exercise is from Willard, where T_3 means regular and T_1.
chhan92
Can you help me on this problem please?
I tried searching online, but I cannot find the proof:

In T_3 space (or regular and T_1 (any one-point set is closed)), show that every prime z-filter is contained in a unique z-ultrafilter. I feel so stupid because I spent lots of time and I cannot still do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
try telling us clearly what the words mean.

z-filter is the collection F of nonempty zero sets (f^{-1}(0) of continuous f:X -> I) such that
a) P_1, P_2 in F implies P_1 intersection P_2 in F
b) P_1 in F and a zero set P_2 containing P_1 implies P_2 in F.

A z-filter is prime if P_1 and P_2 belong to set of zero sets and P_1 union P_2 in F, then P_1 is in F or P_2 is in F.

An z-ultrafilter is a maximal z-filter.

As this exercise is from Willard, T_3 means that it is regular and T_1 (where all single point sets are closed)

1. How can I overcome frustration with a difficult exercise?

One way to overcome frustration with a difficult exercise is to break it down into smaller, manageable tasks. This allows you to focus on one step at a time and can make the overall process less overwhelming.

2. Why do I keep getting frustrated with this one exercise?

Frustration with a particular exercise can stem from a variety of reasons. It could be due to a lack of understanding, not having the necessary skills or knowledge, or feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of the task. It's important to identify the root cause in order to find a solution.

3. How can I stay motivated when I am frustrated with an exercise?

One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of the end goal and the benefits of completing the exercise. You can also take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and refocus, such as going for a walk or listening to music.

4. Is it normal to feel frustrated with an exercise?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel frustrated with an exercise. Learning new concepts and skills can be challenging and it's natural to experience frustration along the way. The important thing is to not let it discourage you and to seek help if needed.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills to better handle frustrating exercises?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One way to improve is to break down problems into smaller parts and practice solving them individually. You can also seek guidance from a mentor or tutor to learn different strategies for problem-solving.