Hi all,Let λ>0 and define an equivalence relation on

by Jooolz
Tags: λ>0, define, equivalence, relation
Jooolz
Jan19-12, 07:21 PM
P: 11
Hi all,

Let λ>0 and define an equivalence relation on ℝn-{0} by

(x~y) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] (there is an s[itex]\in[/itex]Z such that λsx=y)

I would like to know what the quotient space ℝn-{0}/~ looks like. I know that it is a set of equivalence classes.

To understand it better I wanted to see how it works for n=1. In that case I found that for all a[itex]\in[/itex] (1, λ] there is an equivalence class [a]. And for b[itex]\in[/itex] (λ, λ2] we have b=rλ where 1< r ≤ λ. But this means that b~r. So b[itex]\in[/itex][r] and we know that r[itex]\in[/itex] (1, λ]. The same idea holds for elements from the intervals (λi, λi+1]. Hence every element from (1, ∞) will be in an equivalence class which has a representative in (1, λ]. Am I seeing this correct?

But how can I specify the equivalence classes of the rest of the elements of ℝ-{0}? (since λ > 1)

The goal is, (eventually) to show that the quotientspace ℝn-{0}/~ is homeomorphic to S1 x Sn-1.

I would really appreciate any help or hints, to make me understand better what they mean by quotientspace.

Kind regards,
J.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
micromass
Jan19-12, 09:26 PM
Mentor
P: 16,698
For elements in ]0,1[, you can show that such elements are also equivalent to an element in [itex][1,\lambda[[/itex]

For elements in [itex]]-\infty,0[[/itex], you can show it equivalent to something in [itex]]-\lambda,-1][/itex].

Register to reply