Find All Equivalence Classes for Relation R⊆ℝ2

• Thread starter Mathematicsresear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: I'm not sure if your attempt tells me that you know how to prove that the union of the classes is ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Or that you know how to prove that this is a partition. If not, you should try to prove it, otherwise you might have a false understanding of equivalence.
Mathematicsresear

Homework Statement

a relation R⊆ℝ2
It is defined if and only if a2+b2=c2+d2 where (a,b) ∧ (c,d)∈ℝ2
Find all equivalence classes

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the following set defines an equivalence class for the above problem:
[/B]
[(a,b)] = {(c,d)∈ℝ2 : ((a,b),(c,d))∈R}⊆ℝ2

so I asked myself when is a2+b2=c2+d2 such that (a,b) and (c,d) are elements of the relation and a subset of ℝ2.

I said when d= sqrt(a2+b2-c2) and a2+b2 > c2

I am not sure what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about using the theorem of Thales.

fresh_42 said:
I thought about using the theorem of Thales.
Please elaborate

##a^2+b^2=h^2## are the side lengths of a right triangle, and Thales together with the definition of your equivalence means: all points on the circle with diameter ##h## are equivalent. This reduces the problem to some signs and classes represented by a circle. So the solution has probably to do with concentric circles.

fresh_42 said:
##a^2+b^2=h^2## are the side lengths of a right triangle, and Thales together with the definition of your equivalence means: all points on the circle with diameter ##h## are equivalent. This reduces the problem to some signs and classes represented by a circle. So the solution has probably to do with concentric circles.

Can't I say that the equivalence classes are:
[(a,b)] = {(c,sqrt(a2+b2-c2))∈ℝ2 : a2+b2 > c2 }⊆ℝ2}?

Mathematicsresear said:
Can't I say that the equivalence classes are:
[(a,b)] = {(c,sqrt(a2+b2-c2))∈ℝ2 : a2+b2 > c2 }⊆ℝ2}?
If then ##\pm \sqrt{}##, but are your classes distinct?

fresh_42 said:
If then ##\pm \sqrt{}##, but are your classes distinct?
I want to describe all possible equivalence classes.

Given any equivalence relation, ##\mathbb{R}^2## can be written as a disjoint union of the classes. Can you prove this for your classes? In any case you will need the negative roots, too, as ##(c,d) \sim (c,-d)##. Thus you will at least have ##[(a,b)] = \{(c,\sqrt{\ldots}\,\vert \,\ldots\} \cup \{(c,-\sqrt{\ldots}\,\vert \,\ldots\} ##. And what about ##a^2+b^2 =c^2\,?## You basically parameterized the classes by ##h^2=a^2+b^2## which is the same as my concentric circles. And in which class do you have ##(0,0)\,?## For this point there is no ##c##.

In both cases, you will need a formal proof.

1. What is an equivalence class?

An equivalence class is a subset of a set that contains all elements that are considered equivalent according to a given relation.

2. What is a relation in mathematics?

A relation is a mathematical concept that describes the connection or association between two elements or sets.

3. How do you find all equivalence classes for a given relation?

To find all equivalence classes for a given relation, you need to follow these steps:1. Identify all elements in the set.2. Determine the equivalence relation that defines the relation.3. Find the equivalence class for each element by grouping together all elements that are equivalent to it.4. Repeat the process until you have found all equivalence classes.

4. What is the purpose of finding equivalence classes?

Finding equivalence classes helps to better understand the relationship between elements or sets. It also allows for simplification and generalization of complex mathematical concepts.

5. Can there be multiple equivalence classes for a given relation?

Yes, there can be multiple equivalence classes for a given relation. This is because different elements or sets can be considered equivalent based on different equivalence relations.