Why do radians *work* in calculus and higher maths?

In summary, the use of radians in mathematics is natural because it simplifies the derivatives of trigonometric functions and eliminates the need for memorizing constants. This is due to the fact that radians are a more suitable unit for measuring angles in circular motion and allow for the definition of sine and cosine as functions for all real numbers.
njl86
Hello, I searched the forum and couldn't find this topic, so I'll try and describe my question.

I want to know why using radians work and while they are 'natural'. I think the key equation is...
lim x→0 (sin x) / x = 1
...because it makes the derivatives of trigonometric functions relatively simple.
I'm not looking for a proof of the above limit - I know it can be proved various ways.
What I want to know is why is works for radians. What property of radians satisfies this? Why does sin x ≈ x for small values?

(I was thinking it might have to do with the Taylor series, but that relies on differentiating the function, so it can't be assumed.)
I'm looking for an answer analogous to why the derivative of e^x = e^x (e.g. if you look at it as an infinite series, when you differentiate, the first time disappears, and each subsequent term becomes the one before it)

This has been bugging me for some time. Please ask if you need any more clarification about what it is I'm asking

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
njl86 said:
I want to know why using radians work and while they are 'natural'. I think the key equation is...
lim x→0 (sin x) / x = 1
...because it makes the derivatives of trigonometric functions relatively simple.
I'm not looking for a proof of the above limit - I know it can be proved various ways.
What I want to know is why is works for radians. What property of radians satisfies this? Why does sin x ≈ x for small values?

Of course, for mathematicians, a proof is the only valid reason why something is true.

most proofs start with sin(x) < x < tan(x), this means that in this picure, where
OA = OB = 1, and there's a circular arc from A to B

attachment.php?attachmentid=43058&stc=1&d=1327350474.png

sin(x) = BC < length of arc AB < tan(x) = AD

The length of the arc AB is defined as x radians. An angle of x radians means, that the ratio between the length of th arc and the radius is x, and here the radius is 1.

Attachments

• arc.png
    arc.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,006
In the days before calculators using radians made a lot of sense in many calculations involving rotation you could keep things as a proportion of 2 Pi and found at the end you'd have pi on both sides and just cancel it out.

Here's another point- in mathematics variables do not have to have units- if a problem on a test defines [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] and asks you to find f(2), you would not need to ask if that is "2 feet" or "2 meters", or "2 kilograms". Similarly, if ff is defined as [itex]f(x)= sin(x)[/itex], and we are asked to find f(2), we should not have to ask "2 what"- but to be correct, you had better put your calculator in "radian mode"! Why radians? In order to treat sine and cosine as functions, we have to define them for all real numbers. One way that is typically done, in precalculus and calculus, is to use the "unit circle": Construct the graph of [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] on an x, y coordinate system. If t> 0, start at the point (1, 0) and measure counterclockwise around the circumference of the circle a distance t (If t< 0, measure clockwise). cos(t) and sin(t) are defined as the x and y values of the ending point.

Notice that the variable t, here, is NOT an angle at all! It is, rather, a distance around the circle. And, since this is a circle of radius 1, the total circumference is [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Of course, engineers tend to always think of sine and cosine as depending on angles so just to keep them happy, we

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I wonder how it would work if math did try to use units. You'd end up with fun questions like "what is the sine of a second anyway?"

Char. Limit said:
Sometimes I wonder how it would work if math did try to use units. You'd end up with fun questions like "what is the sine of a second anyway?"

Thats usually what scientists do. Once you come up with quantities that can be scaled in some sense (i.e. numbers), you let the scientists define the units and use them to derive the relationships they need.

> I want to know why using radians work and while they are 'natural'.

If you convert (or start with) your angle measurements in radians then it turns out that:

d (sin x) / dx = cos x

d (cos x) / dx = -sin x

d (tan x) / dx = sec^2 x

etc.

You can work out the derivatives using degrees (we did it from 1st principles in my A-level maths course about 22 years ago!) but you end up with "annoying constants to remember" that just cancel out if you use radian angle measure instead of degrees.

So, ultimately, I think radians are more natural because they make the various results easier to remember! I can't find the relevant results to hand but I'll check later.

1. Why are radians used instead of degrees in calculus and higher maths?

Radians are used in calculus and higher maths because they are the most natural unit for measuring angles in trigonometric functions. Unlike degrees, which are based on arbitrary divisions of a circle, radians are based on the actual length of the arc of a circle. This makes them more precise and easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

2. How do radians relate to calculus?

In calculus, radians are used to measure the angle of a curve or arc. This is because the derivative of a function is equal to the slope of the tangent line at a given point, and the slope is represented by the ratio of the rise (change in y) to the run (change in x). Since radians are based on the length of the arc, they are a more accurate measurement for calculating the slope of a curve.

3. Why do radians make trigonometric functions easier to work with?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, are defined using radians. This is because radians provide a more natural and intuitive way to express these functions. For example, the sine of an angle in radians is equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, making it easier to visualize and understand.

4. How do radians tie into higher maths, like calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations?

Radians are used in higher maths to simplify calculations and make formulas more elegant. In calculus, radians are used to measure angles, which are crucial for calculating derivatives and integrals. In linear algebra, radians are used to define rotations and transformations in vector spaces. In differential equations, radians are used to express periodic functions, such as sine and cosine, which are commonly used in solving differential equations.

5. Are radians the only unit used in calculus and higher maths?

No, radians are not the only unit used in calculus and higher maths. In some cases, degrees may be used, especially in introductory courses. However, radians are the preferred unit because they simplify calculations and provide more accurate results. Other units, such as gradients and revolutions, may also be used in specialized applications, but radians are the most commonly used unit in these fields.