Learn 0^0 w/ Young Aussie of the Year: Calculus & Real Analysis Explained

• B
  • Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of 0^0 and whether it is defined or undefined. Some argue that it is undefined due to conflicting limits, while others argue that it can be defined logically. The conversation also touches on the use of complex numbers and the role of continuity in defining mathematical functions. Ultimately, the discussion highlights the importance of defining concepts in mathematics and the potential for new discoveries to shape those definitions.
There is an excellent math teacher out here in Aus (he won young Australian of the year) who makes good videos. Here is one about the old conundrum 0^0:

As you can see in my comment, I'm afraid I have to disagree with Eddie here. 0^0 is undefined because you get different answers depending on how you take the double limit. It shows why one must be really careful with what it means by powers. You really need calculus to define them properly. You will find it in real analysis or honours calculus textbooks, but sketch it define log to base e, Ln(x) as integral 1 to x 1/y dy. We see a problem immediately at x =0. Differentiating Ln(xy), you get 1/x. Thus Ln(xy) = ln (x) + C. If x = 1 we see C = Ln(y) or Ln(xy) = Ln(x) + Ln(y). Let e^x be the inverse of Ln(x). Let a = e^x, b = e^y, and we have e^(x+y) = e^(Ln(a) +Ln(b)) = e^Ln(a*b) = a*b = e^x*e^y. We can, from these relations, work out all the other fundamental relations of logs and powers. As I explained in the comments, this greatly helps clarify 0^0. Basically, Eddie was a bit sloppy and an example of why you need real analysis.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The convention that ##0^0 = 1## turns up implicity in power series, where we have for example:
$$e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}$$ And, if we set ##x = 0## we have: $$e^0 = \frac{0^0}{0!} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{0^n}{n!} = 0^0$$ And we need the convention that ##0^0 = 1##.

Likes bhobba
$$0^0=\prod_{\iota\in\{\}}0=\prod_{\iota\in\{\}}c=1$$

Curiously, I did a plot on Desmos and got that ##0^0 = 1##

The curve drawn was interesting as well exhibiting the limit of ##y = x^x## drawing a curve akin to a parabola (but of course not a parabola) like x^2 with a minimum at x= 0.368 and y= 0.692.

Also, nothing is graphed in the x<0 quadrants on the Desmos plot.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
$$0^0=\prod_{\iota\in\{\}}0=\prod_{\iota\in\{\}}c=1$$
Could you explain? 😄

etotheipi said:
Could you explain? 😄
The power function is an abbreviation for a certain multiplication. The neutral element is the necessary result of a void multiplication, as is ##\sum_{k\in \emptyset} a_k=0.## So whatever we multiply over zero many factors has to be ##1.##

Likes etotheipi
I always like the videos of blackpenredpen, and here is one on this topic, claiming it is undefined. Also walframalpha claims it is undefined, giving pretty much the same point as blackpenredpen. Lastly numberphyle claims the same.

So ##\lim_{x \to 0^+} x^x = 1##, also ##\lim_{x \to 0^+} x^0 = 1##, but ##\lim_{x \to 0^+} 0^x = 0##. This means you get a contradiction based on which limit you use. Therefore it is undefined, as @bhobba already said.

Well, it's undefined until ... you define it!

• Haha
Likes cormsby and jedishrfu
Arjan82 said:
I always like the videos of blackpenredpen, and here is one on this topic, claiming it is undefined. Also walframalpha claims it is undefined, giving pretty much the same point as blackpenredpen. Lastly numberphyle claims the same.

So ##\lim_{x \to 0^+} x^x = 1##, also ##\lim_{x \to 0^+} x^0 = 1##, but ##\lim_{x \to 0^+} 0^x = 0##. This means you get a contradiction based on which limit you use. Therefore it is undefined, as @bhobba already said.
Who defined that continuity had to play a role? This is already the first unspoken assumption. My argument is based on logic.

fresh_42 said:
My argument is based on logic.
So is mine :wink:

"The fact that all Mathematics is Symbolic Logic is one of the greatest discoveries of our age"
Bertrand Russell

Arjan82 said:
So is mine :wink:

"The fact that all Mathematics is Symbolic Logic is one of the greatest discoveries of our age"
Bertrand Russell
No, you assumed continuity of certain functions and concluded, that the fact, that this cannot be achieved for these two functions will make the symbol undefined. But the requirement of continuity, let alone of both functions simultaneously, is out of thin air. My argument uses symbolism only.

jedishrfu said:
Curiously, I did a plot on Desmos and got that ##0^0 = 1##

The curve drawn was interesting as well exhibiting the limit of ##y = x^x## drawing a curve akin to a parabola (but of course not a parabola) like x^2 with a minimum at x= 0.368 and y= 0.692.

Also, nothing is graphed in the x<0 quadrants on the Desmos plot.
It becomes needed to use Complex numbers since negative roots , e.g. ## (-1/2)^{1/2} ## are not defined in/for Real numbers.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
the whole this thread will be another argument that there is no correct definition

Likes dextercioby, jedishrfu and Arjan82
If we go with many worlds then in one the mathematicians say it’s one and in the other they say it’s zero.

Usually the definition that wins out is the one that leads to new mathematics.

Having said that, it’s perhaps a good time to close this thread and go on to other matters.

Likes fresh_42

1. What is "Learn 0^0 w/ Young Aussie of the Year: Calculus & Real Analysis Explained" all about?

"Learn 0^0 w/ Young Aussie of the Year: Calculus & Real Analysis Explained" is a comprehensive online course that explains the fundamentals of calculus and real analysis. It is taught by a renowned mathematician and Young Australian of the Year, making it a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of these subjects.

2. Is this course suitable for beginners?

Yes, this course is suitable for beginners as well as those with some prior knowledge of calculus and real analysis. It covers the basics as well as more advanced topics, making it accessible to a wide range of learners.

3. What sets this course apart from other online courses on calculus and real analysis?

This course is unique in that it is taught by a highly accomplished mathematician who has received recognition for their work. It also uses a combination of visual aids, real-world examples, and interactive exercises to make the material more engaging and easier to understand.

4. Can I access the course materials anytime?

Yes, the course materials are available 24/7, allowing you to learn at your own pace and convenience. You can access the course from any device with an internet connection, making it easy to learn on the go.

5. Will I receive a certificate upon completion of the course?

Yes, upon completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion that you can add to your resume or use to showcase your new skills and knowledge. This certificate is a testament to your dedication and hard work in mastering calculus and real analysis.