Gradshteyn & Ryzhik

by sponsoredwalk
Tags: gradshteyn, ryzhik
sponsoredwalk
Jan23-12, 02:11 PM
P: 530
I have a lecturer who has taunted me with the book "Table of Integrals, Series & Products"
by Gradshteyn & Ryshik with the fact that he could do everything in the book before he even
went to university. Not being a soviet teenager I was playing guitar & hated math but had I
that interest I'd have mastered this book by age 15
In any case, the book looked terrifying at first, absolutely terrifying, but I mean looking in it
it isn't that bad. Theoretically I should be able to manage the first 600 pages based off of
the contents of something like thomas calculus but I mean most of the integrals in this book
are pretty scary when you flip open to some random page in the early hundreds.
Just wondering if people have anything to say on this, whether there are other books I
should read with more of an inkling on how to manage the integrals in G&R
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
fourier jr
Jan23-12, 09:00 PM
P: 943
Make sure you have enough vodka on hand. I read a story that the authors mostly wrote the book in an isolated cabin in Siberia & determined how difficult a formula was by how many vodkas they drank by the time they finished derivating it.
Antiphon
Jan23-12, 09:50 PM
P: 1,781
It would be easier to climb Everest than to "work the first 600 pages" of this Epic Tome.

xepma
Jan24-12, 10:07 AM
P: 527

Gradshteyn & Ryzhik

This is just a reference book - they don't derive integrals at all. It's just a collection of integrals precisely for the reason that you do not need to derive it yourself.

In fact, a lot of the integrals you find in there are just copy/pasted from other sources, such as the books on integrals by Arthur Erdélyi et al.

So please, don't waste your time on it.

Register to reply