How to define the Integral limits for fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses Fourier series and the problem of determining the integral limits for a given function. The conversation also delves into determining if a function is even or odd and how to distinguish between a periodic function of period ##2\pi## and a half range Fourier series. It is mentioned that the ##2\pi## range can be taken from the lowest integration limit to the highest limit, but this is not always the case and further investigation may be needed.
Pual Black

Homework Statement

hello
in the college we have Fourier series and i have a problem with the integral limits
i add a pdf ( 2 pages only)
my question is: how did he get the integral limits from the question
the limits are from ##-\pi## to ##-\frac{\pi}{2}## for f(x)=-2 as shown in the first page
but he changed the integral from ##\frac{\pi}{2}## to ##\pi## as shown in the second page

also the integral limits for f(x)=2 are changed but why?

Attachments

• Untitled2.pdf
    308.8 KB · Views: 788
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you notice something special about f(x)? About how the values of f(x) are distributed about the y-axis?

Yes of course and it is easy to see from the figure. One of the integral limits can be taken from the figure for f(x)=+2. But the second one I didn't get it.

Pual Black said:
Yes of course and it is easy to see from the figure. One of the integral limits can be taken from the figure for f(x)=+2. But the second one I didn't get it.

No, it's right in front of you, but you are concentrating on one piece of the function [f(x) = 2] when you should be looking at the whole function and how it is distributed about the y-axis.

The text even tells you what this property is on page 1 when it describes f(x).

If you look carefully at the definition of a0, you should also note another change in the integral in addition to the change in limits ...

The function is distributed over y-axis from -2 to +2. I see it and i know that this is an even function. ##a_0## is from zero to pi because it is half range Fourier series. The function has 3 parts to know if it is even or odd and to determine the integration limits. Right??

Last edited:
Pual Black said:
The function is distributed over y-axis from -2 to +2. I see it and i know that this is an even function. ##a_0## is from zero to pi because it is half range Fourier series. The function has 3 parts to know if it is even or odd and to determine the integration limits. Right??
More importantly, because this function is symmetric with respect to the y-axis, one only needs to integrate between the positive values of x for the key portions of the function.

The value of any integral on the negative side of the x-axis will be the same as the corresponding range on the positive x-axis; therefore, the entire integral = twice the value of the integral on the positive x-axis.

For a symmetric, or even, function f(x):

[itex]\int^a_{-a} {f(x)}dx = 2 \int^a_0 {f(x)} dx[/itex]

Note the change in limits of integration and the multiplication by 2 of the integral on the right-hand side of the equation. :wink:

Woow thanks. I got it.
So if a function is even i just need to take the positive x-values for integration limits and multiply by 2.
But If the function was odd ?? How shall i take the integration limits?

Anyway i just solved the question in 2 ways. The first way was the same as in the pdf mentioned and the second way i took all 3 parts of f(x) with their integration limits and i got same answer.
Therefore taking just the positive x-values will only shorten the solution. Nothing else. Right??

Pual Black said:
Woow thanks. I got it.
So if a function is even i just need to take the positive x-values for integration limits and multiply by 2.
But If the function was odd ?? How shall i take the integration limits?

Knowing the definition of an odd function, you should be able to work this out for yourself.

Anyway i just solved the question in 2 ways. The first way was the same as in the pdf mentioned and the second way i took all 3 parts of f(x) with their integration limits and i got same answer.
Therefore taking just the positive x-values will only shorten the solution. Nothing else. Right??

You wanted to know why the limits of integration changed. Mission Accomplished.

Taking advantage of this characteristic of even functions reduces the amount of calculation involved in evaluating integrals over certain limit ranges, as illustrated by this example.

Ok thank you very much
Just another question. How can I distinguish between odd and even function.
There are many ways but is there an all around one?

Pual Black said:
Ok thank you very much
Just another question. How can I distinguish between odd and even function.
There are many ways but is there an all around one?
Just apply the definitions of what determines an even function and an odd function, namely:

even function:

f(-x) = f(x), for all x; f(x) is real.

odd function:

f(-x) = -f(x), for all x; f(x) is real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_and_odd_functions

Very nice. Thank you for your help.

Im facing another problem. How can I distinguish between periodic functions of period ##2\pi## and half range Fourier series if he don't tell me that in the question.
It is important to know that because in 2 Pi range i have to determine all ##a_0 a_n b_n## but in half range i have to determine either ##a_0 a_n## or just ##b_n## according to the function if it is even or odd.
The ##2\pi## range can be taken from the lowest integration limit to the highest limit. But this is not always right.

Last edited:
Pual Black said:
Im facing another problem. How can I distinguish between periodic functions of period ##2\pi## and half range Fourier series if he don't tell me that in the question.
It is important to know that because in 2 Pi range i have to determine all ##a_0 a_n b_n## but in half range i have to determine either ##a_0 a_n## or just ##b_n## according to the function if it is even or odd.
The ##2\pi## range can be taken from the lowest integration limit to the highest limit. But this is not always right.

Well, you don't often get problems which are fully defined. You have to do some investigation of the function on your own and see if a period is discernible and what its value might be.

Related to How to define the Integral limits for fourier series

1. What is the purpose of defining integral limits for Fourier series?

The integral limits for Fourier series determine the range over which the function is to be integrated, which ultimately affects the accuracy and convergence of the series. Without proper limits, the Fourier series may not accurately represent the original function.

2. How do you determine the integral limits for a Fourier series?

The integral limits are typically determined by considering the period of the function and its symmetries. For example, if the function is periodic with a period of 2π and is symmetric about the origin, the integral limits would be -π to π.

3. Can the integral limits of a Fourier series be negative?

Yes, the integral limits can be negative if the function is not symmetric about the origin or if the period is not centered at the origin. In these cases, the integral limits may extend beyond the positive range of the x-axis.

4. What happens if the integral limits are chosen incorrectly?

If the integral limits are chosen incorrectly, the Fourier series may not accurately represent the original function and may have poor convergence. This can lead to significant errors in calculations and predictions.

5. Is there a general rule for choosing the integral limits for Fourier series?

There is no one-size-fits-all rule for choosing integral limits for Fourier series. The best approach is to carefully consider the period and symmetries of the function and choose the integral limits that will result in the most accurate and efficient representation of the original function.