Geodesic Derivation Question

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying for their math physics final and struggling with a step in a derivation involving the geodesic equation and variational calculus. They discuss the steps leading up to the confusion and the student asks for clarification on where a second derivative term comes from. The expert summarizer explains how the term is derived and mentions their experience with tensors.
Hypnotoad
I'm studying for my math physics final tomorrow and I'm going through a derivation done in our book, but I'm stuck on this one step. The derivation is of the geodesic equation using variational calculus (this is done in the Arfken and Weber book, on page 156 if you have it). Anyways, I follow the derivation up to this point:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int{(\frac{dq^i}{ds}\frac{dq^j}{ds}\partial{g_{ij}}{q^k}-\frac{d}{ds}(g_{ik}\frac{dq^i}{ds}+g_kj\frac{dq^j}{ds}))\delta q^kds}=0[/tex]

since there is an independant variation with the [tex]\delta q^k[/tex], the rest of the integral is zero:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}( \frac{dq^i}{ds} \frac{dq^j}{ds} \frac{\partial{g_{ij}}}{\partial{q^k}} - \frac{d}{ds} (g_{ik} \frac{dq^i}{ds} + g_kj \frac{dq^j}{ds}))=0[/tex]

He then goes on to expand the derivatives of g in the last term:

[tex]\frac{dg_{ik}}{ds}=\frac{\partial{g_{ik}}}{\partial{q^j}}\frac{dq^j}{ds}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dg_{kj}}{ds}=\frac{\partial{g_{kj}}}{\partial{q^i}}\frac{dq^i}{ds}[/tex]

The next step is the one I don't understand. He gets:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{dq^i}{ds} \frac{dq^j}{ds} (\frac{\partial {g_{ij}}} {\partial {q^k}} - \frac{\partial {g_{ik}}}{\partial {q^j}} - \frac{\partial {g_{jk}}}{\partial {q^i}})-g_{ik} \frac{d^2q^i}{ds^2}=0[/tex]

I don't know where this last term is coming from. This seems a lot like something my professor would ask on the test, so I would like to understand what is going on but I don't have time to talk to him before the test tomorrow. Can anyone explain where that second derivative is coming from?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{d}{ds} (g_{ik} \frac{dq^i}{ds} + g_{kj} \frac{dq^j}{ds}) =

\frac{dg_{ik}}{ds}\frac{dq^{i}}{ds} + \frac{dg_{kj}}{ds}\frac{dq^{j}}{ds} + 2g_{ik}\frac{d^{2}q^{i}}{ds^{2}}

[/tex]

you just use the chain rule on the second term and change [tex] j [/tex] to [tex] i [/tex].

Last edited:
Dr Transport said:
[tex] \frac{d}{ds} (g_{ik} \frac{dq^i}{ds} + g_{kj} \frac{dq^j}{ds}) =

\frac{dg_{ik}}{ds}\frac{dq^{i}}{ds} + \frac{dg_{kj}}{ds}\frac{dq^{j}}{ds} + 2g_{ik}\frac{d^{2}q^{i}}{ds^{2}}

[/tex]

you just use the chain rule on the second term and change [tex] j [/tex] to [tex] i [/tex].

Thanks. I can't believe I missed that.

Hypnotoad said:
I'm studying for my math physics final tomorrow and I'm going through a derivation done in our book, but I'm stuck on this one step. The derivation is of the geodesic equation using variational calculus (this is done in the Arfken and Weber book, on page 156 if you have it). Anyways, I follow the derivation up to this point:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int{(\frac{dq^i}{ds}\frac{dq^j}{ds}\partial{g_{ij}}{q^k}-\frac{d}{ds}(g_{ik}\frac{dq^i}{ds}+g_kj\frac{dq^j}{ds}))\delta q^kds}=0[/tex]

since there is an independant variation with the [tex]\delta q^k[/tex], the rest of the integral is zero:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}( \frac{dq^i}{ds} \frac{dq^j}{ds} \frac{\partial{g_{ij}}}{\partial{q^k}} - \frac{d}{ds} (g_{ik} \frac{dq^i}{ds} + g_kj \frac{dq^j}{ds}))=0[/tex]

He then goes on to expand the derivatives of g in the last term:

[tex]\frac{dg_{ik}}{ds}=\frac{\partial{g_{ik}}}{\partial{q^j}}\frac{dq^j}{ds}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dg_{kj}}{ds}=\frac{\partial{g_{kj}}}{\partial{q^i}}\frac{dq^i}{ds}[/tex]

The next step is the one I don't understand. He gets:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{dq^i}{ds} \frac{dq^j}{ds} (\frac{\partial {g_{ij}}} {\partial {q^k}} - \frac{\partial {g_{ik}}}{\partial {q^j}} - \frac{\partial {g_{jk}}}{\partial {q^i}})-g_{ik} \frac{d^2q^i}{ds^2}=0[/tex]

I don't know where this last term is coming from. This seems a lot like something my professor would ask on the test, so I would like to understand what is going on but I don't have time to talk to him before the test tomorrow. Can anyone explain where that second derivative is coming from?

To me,it's all very clear (i know,i've worked with tensors a lot...).In the second equation (actually the first to come out of the action's variation wrt to parameters),he substitutes the two derivatives of the metric.The number of terms is 5,before and after the substitution.Next,he uses the fact that the metric is symmetric wrt to indices and gets read of one tems involvin second order derivatives of the metric,but at the price of multiplying the remaining one with 2 (those two terms were equal).So from there,comes the last term,the one without 2.
As for the first three,he just factors the product of derivatives (wrt to the parameter) along the curves.So he should be getting beside that 1/2 which stays (no equal terms this time) another three terms in the bracket multiplied with the factor.

Daniel.

PS.I guess u haven't shuffled,swhitched,raised and lowered too many suffices in your life. :tongue2: At the math faculty,there are sure as hell less than at the phyiscs faculty.

1. What is a geodesic derivation?

A geodesic derivation is a method used to calculate the path of a geodesic, which is the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface. It involves using differential equations and mathematical concepts such as the Christoffel symbols and the geodesic equation.

2. What is the importance of geodesic derivation?

Geodesic derivation is important in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It allows for the calculation of the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles and objects moving in curved spaces.

3. How is geodesic derivation related to general relativity?

Geodesic derivation is an important concept in general relativity, as it is used to calculate the paths of objects in a curved spacetime. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by an object is the one that minimizes the action (a measure of the object's energy) along its trajectory.

4. Can geodesic derivation be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, geodesic derivation has many practical applications. For example, it is used in GPS technology to calculate the shortest path between two points on the Earth's curved surface. It is also used in other fields such as cartography, robotics, and spacecraft trajectory planning.

5. What are some challenges in geodesic derivation?

One of the main challenges in geodesic derivation is dealing with complex mathematical equations and concepts. It also requires a good understanding of differential geometry and tensor calculus. Additionally, accurately accounting for factors such as the curvature of spacetime and the presence of external forces can be difficult.