Substituting t in Y-Coordinate: Exploring Answers

• Thread starter bentley4
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving substitution in an equation and finding the maximum value of x. It is explained that the t in the y-coordinate equation should be substituted using the x-coordinate equation to get the correct answer. It is also mentioned that the variable t must be eliminated in order to find the maximum value of x. Additionally, the conversation discusses how to approach a similar problem involving range and projection angle, with the conclusion that for a fixed u, the maximum value for the sine function occurs when the angle is 45 degrees.
bentley4
attachment.php?attachmentid=43340&stc=1&d=1328027012.jpg

In this solution the t in the y-coordinate equation is substituted using the x-coordinate equation and ultimately leads to the answer.

My questions:
1. Why don't I get the same answer when I substitute the v or v and t instead?
2. How am I supposed to know to substitute t in this example and not v?

Attachments

• probl14.jpg
    probl14.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,236
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't see how you can get it by keeping the t. You don't know t, so how can you tell the maximum value of x that way? I get
x = gt²/(2*tanΘ)
and can't tell what combination of t and Θ provide the maximum x.
It would be good to see your calc.

There is no need to eliminate the v; it is a constant. But you must eliminate the variable t.

Well, the problem is quite easy to approach.
Range is given by u^2 sin(2a) / g, where a is the projection angle.
Since -1<sin a<1, the max. value for a sine function = 1. This occurs when the angle is 90 degrees or .5pi radians.
So, for a fixed u:
2a = 90
a = 45 degrees.

Delphi51 said:
I don't see how you can get it by keeping the t. You don't know t, so how can you tell the maximum value of x that way? I get
x = gt²/(2*tanΘ)
and can't tell what combination of t and Θ provide the maximum x.
It would be good to see your calc.

There is no need to eliminate the v; it is a constant. But you must eliminate the variable t.

Ok, now I understand. Thnx!

1. The reason you may not get the same answer when substituting v or v and t instead of just t is because the equations may not be equivalent. The substitution of t in the y-coordinate equation may only work because the x-coordinate equation is a function of time, while the v and t equation may not have that same relationship. It is important to carefully analyze the equations and understand their relationships before making substitutions.

2. In this particular example, it seems that substituting t in the y-coordinate equation is the most logical option since the x-coordinate equation is a function of time. However, in other situations, it may be necessary to substitute different variables depending on the relationships between the equations. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the equations and their meanings in order to determine the most appropriate substitutions. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with colleagues or do further research to gain a better understanding of the equations and their relationships.

1. What is the purpose of substituting t in the y-coordinate?

The purpose of substituting t in the y-coordinate is to explore the relationship between the y-coordinate and the variable t. This can help in understanding the behavior of a function or a data set over time.

2. How is t related to the y-coordinate?

T is typically used as the independent variable in a function, and the y-coordinate is the dependent variable. This means that the value of t will affect the value of the y-coordinate, and by substituting different values for t, we can see how the y-coordinate changes.

3. Can substituting t in the y-coordinate be used in any type of function?

Yes, substituting t in the y-coordinate can be used in any type of function, as long as the function has a dependent variable that is represented by the y-coordinate and an independent variable that can be represented by t.

4. How does substituting negative values for t affect the y-coordinate?

Substituting negative values for t will result in negative values for the y-coordinate if the function is decreasing. If the function is increasing, negative values for t will result in positive values for the y-coordinate. This can be observed by plotting the points on a graph or by calculating the values.

5. Can substituting t in the y-coordinate help in finding the maximum or minimum value of a function?

Yes, depending on the function and the range of values for t, substituting t in the y-coordinate can help in finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. This can be done by finding the critical points of the function, which are the values of t that make the derivative of the function equal to zero.