In Which Signatures are Talked About

by Char. Limit
Tags: signatures, talked
Share this thread:
Char. Limit
Feb3-12, 04:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
What's the story behind your signature or avatar? Why did you choose it, if you chose it? If you don't have a signature or avatar here, maybe you do at a different forum, and you'd like to share that?

I want to know!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
berkeman
Feb3-12, 04:16 PM
Mentor
P: 41,041
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
What's the story behind your signature or avatar? Why did you choose it, if you chose it? If you don't have a signature or avatar here, maybe you do at a different forum, and you'd like to share that?

I want to know!
You go first!

Okay, whatever.

Mine (my avatar) is of one of my favorite activities, and the picture was taken by my son when he was about 7 or so. He's now 17 and WAY faster than I am. Fun times
Char. Limit
Feb3-12, 04:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
You go first!

Okay, whatever.

Mine is of one of my favorite activities, and the picture was taken by my son when he was about 7 or so. He's now 17 and WAY faster than I am. Fun times
Oh fine, I'll go first. (or second!)

My avatar is a cheezburger, as is obvious. This is from when I dubbed myself the Supreme Cheezburger in chat one time.

My signature is two funny lines and a series of true math thingies.

Funny Line 1: PF TOP GUY

Well, one time, I was called "one of the PF Top Guys" by a crackpot on chat. I laughed at that, and decided sure why not, and labeled myself a PF Top Guy!

Funny Line 2: Infractions

I posted about how infractions are like scars. Lisab responded with a quote from someone about how scars are beautiful, and I... adapted the quote. Infractions of whatever nature are beautiful!

Math thingies: Just stuff to give to people with stupid statements like ".999...=/=1" or "1/0 is infinity cause dividing by zero makes infinity" or the most recent "-1 = sqrt(-1)sqrt(-1) = sqrt(-1 * -1) = 1".

micromass
Feb3-12, 04:26 PM
Mentor
P: 18,279
In Which Signatures are Talked About

My avatar is of course from "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd. It's one of my favorite music bands out there. I originally wanted an avatar of "Wish you were here", but it turned out to be too small.

My signature is my tagline as Supreme Onion. Most of you will recognize it as a spoof of the famous Bhagavad Gita quote "I am become time (or death), the destroyer of worlds".

My last line in my signature is a spoof of Char's and lisab's signatures.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb3-12, 04:59 PM
P: 2,179
OK, I'll go first too. Identity theft.
Moonbear
Feb3-12, 05:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
My avatar just seemed cute...and now too many other people use the same one. When we used to have locations displayed under the avatar, mine was "Hunting Mice." I used to rotate through a lot of aatars when I first joined, mostly dressed up bears, but other stuff too. When I was appointed as a mentor, sniper kitty stuck as I went crackpot hunting instead of mouse hunting.

My signature was another random find while thumbing through quotations, and I just thought it was fitting for PF, and my teaching in general. Too many students spend too much time focusing on rote memorization, and don't really learn.
rollcast
Feb3-12, 05:05 PM
P: 418
I mostly post on fishing forums when I'm not on so here's a couple I use.

One of my nicest macro shots and the colours go nicely with the forum colour scheme.

This is my signature on the same forum. I was mucking around on G.I.M.P. one day and decided to change a cartoon I found into a pac man thingie.
turbo
Feb3-12, 05:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
My avatar is my favorite ferret, Turbo, When we got Pergo flooring in that long living-room, he loved ferret-bowling. I'd grab him and scale him down that floor on his back and he'd come right back and play keep-away. If he wanted me to pick him up instead, it was nap-time. What a nice boy.
drizzle
Feb3-12, 05:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
My avatar is a portrait of an arabian lady, it looks calming and I like it. As for my sig, the first line is 'read'. The second is a quote from the Quran: 'Truly it is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts which are in their breasts' 22:46.
I like Serena
Feb3-12, 05:36 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,187
Found my new avatar on the facebook page of someone (else) I like.

I'd like to see more people use a solution method like that if only for fun!
Anyway, I like simple and easy to understand.
collinsmark
Feb3-12, 07:55 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,953
Mine is shrunken version of this:

I created the image before joining PF. It's meant to be a battery powered lightbulb, that radiates isotropically (same in all directions) more or less. I previously used it in an explanation of E=mc2 mass/energy equivalency, based on Einstein's own explanation (Does the Inertia of a Body Depend Upon Its Energy Content?, A. Einstein, Annalen der Physik, Sept. 27, 1905).

I wanted keep the apparatus simple and familiar, to emphasize the point that mass-energy equivalency holds true for pretty much any type of energy. And in particular: it doesn't require fancy shmancy nuclear reactions. (Of course, those apply too.)

After joining PF I made it my avatar, because the lightbulb part of it made it look like an "idea". One of those "Eureka!" type symbols. I don't know. 'Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Ivan Seeking
Feb4-12, 12:10 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
The two documentaries linked in my sig are as good of a synopsis of the causes of the economic crisis that I've seen; and well worth remembering during this election year.

I picked the avatar to annoy Flex and Dave. It was actually a joke; a reminder to Flex that I was watching him.
Deveno
Feb4-12, 12:17 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
as befits a lover of mathematics, my signature and avatar are null
Danger
Feb4-12, 01:46 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
My avatar is a photo of me in my Hallowe'en makeup from several years ago. My signature is primarily meant as a joke, but references the time that I parked a Cessna 150 in a friend's back yard.
ThomasT
Feb4-12, 02:54 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post

I want to know!
I have a signature at a different forum. It's Captain Beefheart's:
The stars are matter
We are matter
But it doesn't matter

Which I think encapsulates the notion that nothing, even matter itself, really matters. But I do think that that should be tempered with the suggestion that what we call wise people, even though embracing this notion, nevertheless understand the importance of behaving as if, and thus appearing to believe that, at least some things do matter.
Deveno
Feb4-12, 03:29 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
I have a signature at a different forum. It's Captain Beefheart's:
The stars are matter
We are matter
But it doesn't matter

Which I think encapsulates the notion that nothing, even matter itself, really matters. But I do think that that should be tempered with the suggestion that what we call wise people, even though embracing this notion, nevertheless understand the importance of behaving as if, and thus appearing to believe that, at least some things do matter.
ah, Don Van Vliet (did I spell that correctly, it doen't ma-). I had a friend in college who swore that Trout Mask Replica was the very pinnacle of Western Music (I do confess a certain fondness for "The Dust Blows Forward And The Dust Blows Back" especially the line:

Me and my girl named bimbo
Limbo
Spam

which brings tears to my eyes...or is that micromass? dunno.)
ThomasT
Feb4-12, 03:38 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by Deveno View Post
ah, Don Van Vliet (did I spell that correctly, it doen't ma-). I had a friend in college who swore that Trout Mask Replica was the very pinnacle of Western Music (I do confess a certain fondness for "The Dust Blows Forward And The Dust Blows Back" especially the line:

Me and my girl named bimbo
Limbo
Spam

which brings tears to my eyes...or is that micromass? dunno.)
"Space age couple, why don't you flex your magic muscle?"

By the way, I think that spelling is unimportant in these sorts of interchanges. What is important is that there has been communication in a way that hundreds of millions, if not thousands, of people can identify with.
turbo
Feb4-12, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Lick My Decals Off, Baby! R.I.P. Captain!

Register to reply