11 reasons why you should be a Gold Member

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Gold Members receive a special badge under their avatar, profile posting ability, the ability to watch tags, 24/7 chat access, the ability to hide online status, and the ability to attach files to personal conversations.
Members often ask what the perks of being a https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades are. Besides winning my admiration, here are some of the perks:

Recognition Badge

Gold members receive a special badge under their avatar to show the world how awesome they are and that they've supported the community they participate in. The badge is automatic and stays through the term of the https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades.

badge.png

Profile Posting
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades have the ability to use the profile post functions. Profile posts on your own profile page are like status updates. Profile posts on other member's profiles are like shout outs or tweet messages. Usually more casual and public than a personal conversation message would be.

profilepost.png

Live Update
The Live Update feature is very exciting and useful. This feature polls the database every 10 seconds for any new alerts or conversations regardless of refreshing or if you are even viewing the browser tab. You could be writing a post and get an alert or be checking your email and see the browser icon change to alert you of a message. I love this!

update.png

Watch Tags
The Watch Tag features allows you to subscribe to a certain keyword tag. This tag must already exist on Physics Forums. Once a tag is being watched if a member creates a post with the tag that you've watched you'll be sent an email or alert. This is a fantastic way to be notified about new threads in a topical way rather than a broad forum watch.

tags.png

24h Edit Window
The default time window to edit a post is 3 hours. There are many cases where you post a message, leave for a bit and come back only to realize you made a mistake. With the 24h edit window this becomes a lot easier to do.

edit.png

Signature
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades are allowed a signature. Signatures are appended to the bottom of every post you make. It's similar to your email signature. Most members use it for quotes, favorite links or quick tips. Signatures can be edited at any time.

signature.png

24/7 Chat Access
We've got a nice little chat community and if you want to join that you could wait for the usual Sunday chat events open to all, or you could become a https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades and get 24/7 chat access. Chat is a great way to have real time connections with your favorite forum members. From time to time we also have trivia events.

chat.png

Hide Online Status
These days you can never be too careful. https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades enjoy an extra level of privacy by being able to hide their online status. Making them nearly invisible when logged in. For members who enable this feature, they will not be listed in the active users list and their online indicator next to their avatar won't light up.

invisible.png

Attachments To Personal Conversations
This feature is simple. It allows you to attach a file to a personal conversation. Great for those situations when you don't want to share the file publicly.

attach.png

Donation
This feature is the best of all. You can consider your https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades subscription as a donation to one of your favorite online communities. You can feel good knowing you've done your part in ensuring it's stability and future. Keeping a busy community like Physics Forums running smooth and stable is not easy nor cheap. We have loads of monthly costs for a huge server, backup management, smtp services, monitoring services, advertising, licences, outsourced development and so much more (really!)

Premium Support
Let's be honest. I get dozens of user requests a day. I try my best to get to everyone, but if I see you are a Gold Member. You take priority and I go the extra mile for you. It's that simple. Gold Members got sway :)

So now you know what it's all about! Subscriptions terms are 6 months, 1 year and 20 years (big discount). The 6 month and 1 year amount it about $1 a month. It's hard to find a better value in this world.

So what are you waiting for!?

Likes NotsmartasU, Eric Hentschel and Orodruin
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
... Besides winning my admiration ...
He's just kidding folks ... he wants the money :p

• Haha
Likes NotsmartasU
phinds said:
He's just kidding folks ... he wants the money :p
Did I ever tell you how handsome you look in your avatar? Just dashing!

Likes DennisN
Greg Bernhardt said:
Hey, watch it ... rock beats scissors and dogs eat frogs :p

Seriously, Greg, I hope you get to where you can make a living off of PF and spend your time studying physics and keeping the site up. Keep up the good work, and thanks for that recent reminder on the PF link to the merchants. That's really cool that you get 7%.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I just gave him a bath and a brush-down. Unfortunately his smell doesn't match his looks.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Aha! Picking favorites based on looks are we? Nobody tells me I am handsome and I even have a pharyngeal jaw!

Like phinds, I would probably also eat a frog...

Frogs are delicious deep fried

Orodruin said:
Aha! Picking favorites based on looks are we? Nobody tells me I am handsome and I even have a pharyngeal jaw!

Pharyngeal jaws aren't handsome. But they are pretty freakin' awesome.

There should be a 2-year membership pack. 20 year is way too much. Sure, 1usd/month is not expensive, but we students are pretty poor. The cheaper the better!

DataGG said:
There should be a 2-year membership pack. 20 year is way too much. Sure, 1usd/month is not expensive, but we students are pretty poor. The cheaper the better!
Well you could upgrade with the one year option twice. Besides PF is worth more than one textbook IMO.

Yep, being a Goldmember certainly comes with solid benefits.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
DataGG said:
fyi, there are many ways to get Gold Membership for free too :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
fyi, there are many ways to get Gold Membership for free too :)

I hear that you get a free 20 year membership if you can slip a crackpot by V50 without him realizing it.

Drakkith said:
I hear that you get a free 20 year membership if you can slip a crackpot by V50 without him realizing it.
It's why we have so many gold members... :D @Vanadium 50

Last edited:

1. What benefits do I get as a Gold Member?

As a Gold Member, you will have access to exclusive research materials, networking opportunities with other scientists, discounts on conferences and events, and recognition for your contributions to the scientific community.

2. How much does it cost to become a Gold Member?

The cost of becoming a Gold Member varies depending on the organization or society you are joining. Generally, the cost is a one-time fee or an annual membership fee. It is best to check with the specific organization for their current pricing.

3. Can I become a Gold Member if I am a student?

Yes, many organizations offer discounted Gold Memberships for students. This is a great opportunity to get involved in the scientific community and gain valuable experience and connections.

4. How do I become a Gold Member?

To become a Gold Member, you will need to apply through the organization's website or by contacting their membership department. You may be asked to provide proof of your qualifications or pay a membership fee.

5. What is the difference between a Gold Membership and other membership levels?

Gold Membership often offers more benefits and opportunities than other membership levels. For example, Gold Members may have access to exclusive research materials, while other members may only have access to a limited selection. Additionally, Gold Members may have more networking opportunities and recognition for their contributions to the scientific community.