Particles actually "being" strings?

by questionpost
Tags: particles, strings
questionpost
Feb4-12, 09:23 AM
P: 198
I've heard that particles and the fabric of space can consist of many small strings, but then I heard that things like electrons are actually single 1-dimensional strings themselves...how could they have mass if they were just pure energy?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
martinbn
Feb4-12, 09:30 AM
P: 344
What do you mean by they are pure energy? As you said they are strings.
questionpost
Feb4-12, 10:26 AM
Quote Quote by martinbn View Post
What do you mean by they are pure energy? As you said they are strings.
Doesn't string theory predict that the strings themselves are made of energy?

martinbn
Feb4-12, 01:44 PM
P: 344

Particles actually "being" strings?

Quote Quote by questionpost View Post
No, it doesn't.
questionpost
Feb4-12, 02:35 PM
Quote Quote by martinbn View Post
No, it doesn't.
Well that's the first I've heard that from any source, so what are they then?
Nabeshin
Feb4-12, 03:54 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,194
No more than saying contemporary theory predicts an electron, which is a point particle, is made out of 'pure energy'. It's quite a ridiculous term.

Simply, in string theory the fundamental object is a string, not a point as it is in the standard model. Vibrational modes of the string correspond to what are observed as different particles.
questionpost
Feb4-12, 03:58 PM
Quote Quote by Nabeshin View Post
No more than saying contemporary theory predicts an electron, which is a point particle, is made out of 'pure energy'. It's quite a ridiculous term.

Simply, in string theory the fundamental object is a string, not a point as it is in the standard model. Vibrational modes of the string correspond to what are observed as different particles.
Ok, but the question still remains: what are strings exactly if they are not energy?
arivero
Feb4-12, 06:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,884
Ok, but the question still remains: what are strings exactly if they are not energy?
Fascinating... you thing that energy is a concept easier than strings, or particles? I think that the question should not bias towards an answer. Just ask "what are strings exactly", mark stop.

An approach to an answer could be to ask the question first for the QFT, the field theory of point particles, and then see if the answer can be applied to strings or why not.
Nabeshin
Feb4-12, 07:10 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,194
I think you're missing the point. Strings are fundamental within the theory. They are not made of or reducible to any simpler concept.
questionpost
Feb4-12, 11:01 PM
Quote Quote by Nabeshin View Post
I think you're missing the point. Strings are fundamental within the theory. They are not made of or reducible to any simpler concept.
Somehow that still doesn't answer my question. Your saying strings=strings, when in order for them to even exist they have to at the very least be in some way y=sin(x).
mitchell porter
Feb4-12, 11:45 PM
P: 748
how could they have mass if they were just pure energy?
You need to tell us a bit about the difference between mass and energy, and perhaps the difference between energy and pure energy, as you understand these terms.
negru
Feb5-12, 12:01 AM
P: 308
Energy is a property of objects. Saying that strings are made of energy is like saying strings are made of velocity.
DaveC426913
Feb5-12, 12:05 AM
P: 15,325
They are more fundamental than matter or energy. The property of matter that we call mass is actually a manifestation of the string's vibration at a particular frequency in a particular number of dimensions.
rglong
Feb7-12, 11:08 AM
P: 7
So, basically strings are the most fundamental concept that causes all other things to exist and that strings just are?
DaveC426913
Feb7-12, 12:14 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by rglong View Post
So, basically strings are the most fundamental concept that causes all other things to exist and that strings just are?
I think so, yes. Been a little while since I've read up on it.

Register to reply