Basic question from non-engineer about power cable specifications and safety

In summary, the power cord for an HP digital picture frame shipped with the device but does not have a specific part number, original manufacturer, or other specifications. An adapter can be used if the device is plugged into an outlet with the correct voltage and wattage, and the polarity is correct.
yellowsprung
Let me start by stating up front that I am not an engineer, but as far as I could tell, this "outsider" question does not violate the forum rules. I searched (Google and this forum) for an answer, but couldn't find one, and was confident readers of this forum could probably help.

My boss's boss lost the power cable for his HP digital picture frame, and they came to me (I'm young = assumed savvy in all things tech) to see about getting a replacement. So I spent an hour on HP's site finding very little help at all, but what help I got---in the form of PDFs of the user manuals---did not actually specify much about the power cable.

All I know is that it shipped with an "AC adapter, 5V / 1A," but I cannot find anything about the part number, original manufacturer, etc. HP was totally unhelpful on the phone, but with additional Googling I found http://www.impactcomputers.com/ulb-050100.html and http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1448314585&partno=ULB050100, which meets the specifications.

My question is: is it safe to use any (properly constructed) power cable with a device so long as those basic specifications (AC vs. DC, voltage, wattage, amperage, all that) match? Or are there many other factors that could cause my boss's boss's digital picture frame to catch fire (as I'm imagining) if I don't find the *exact cable* intended to be used with that exact model of digital picture frame?

I hope that question is clear and not too laughably simple for the experts! I happy to read either a full technical discussion or just the basic yes/no answer. THANKS!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Amperage doesn't need to match, only voltage. The frame will draw whatever amperage it needs -- so the adapter just needs to be capable of providing more than is required.

So you don't need any special adapter. If you're an electronics hoarder like me you probably already have five of these in a box in your basement. If not, any electronics store worthy of the description will have one - and it won't cost $35. Radio shack even sells them with interchangeable tips in the unlikely event that this picture frame has an odd sized tip.

look carefully at the receptacle.

Recent HP laptop computers are three conductor though the plug looks like just two.
They have an outside barrel that's power supply negative
and an inside barrel that's power supply positive
and the tiny center pin is some kind of digital communication between the "smart" power supply and the computer.

See if the picture frame connector has pins to grasp an inner barrel . If not you should be okay just matching the plug style and voltage.
Be sure of polarity for some are cener positive and some center negative and some AC, .

Go to HP and buy the cable from them.
If cable costs 3 times what is should, no one will say anything.
If you buy X brand cable and there is any problem, even if the cable didn't cause the problem, you will be in trouble.

Thanks for all the advice! We at last found the right part number and were able to find a third-party match online that works!

1. What is the maximum voltage that a power cable can safely handle?

The maximum voltage that a power cable can safely handle depends on its specifications such as the insulation material, conductor size, and temperature rating. Generally, power cables can handle voltages ranging from 300V to 35kV.

2. How do I know if a power cable is safe to use in my home?

To ensure the safety of a power cable in your home, it should be certified by a reputable organization such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). Additionally, you should always follow the installation and usage instructions provided by the manufacturer.

3. What is the difference between a power cable and an extension cord?

A power cable is a permanent wiring solution that is used to supply electricity from a power source to a device, while an extension cord is a temporary solution for extending the reach of a power source. Power cables are typically thicker and have a higher voltage rating compared to extension cords.

4. Can I use a power cable with a higher current rating than my device requires?

It is not recommended to use a power cable with a higher current rating than your device requires. The current rating of a power cable should match the current rating of the device to ensure safe operation. Using a power cable with a higher current rating can potentially overload and damage your device.

5. How often do power cables need to be replaced?

The lifespan of a power cable depends on various factors such as its quality, usage, and environmental conditions. Generally, power cables should be replaced every 3-5 years to ensure safety and prevent potential hazards. It is important to regularly inspect power cables for any signs of damage and replace them if necessary.