Question about USB and using long USB cables

In summary, Russ has several questions about the latest USB standard and the speed of it. There are USB cables that are 3m in length and still work with the fastest USB standard. He also wants to know if there is a way to use a Hub to extend the distance of the USB cable. WiFi can be used for remoter operation of telescopes.
yungman
Hi

I have not been keeping up with the latest USB standard, is the latest one USBIII? What is the speed of this?

Also, I want to run a USB cable at least 4m long, do they have USB cable that long and still work for the fastest USB standard?

I know in the past, even for USBII, there is a limit for how long the cable can be. Say if I cannot find a 4m long USB cable, can I use a Hub to serve as a repeater so I can use two short cables with a Hub in the middle to extend the length. Matter of fact, use more than one Hub to further extending the distance.

Sorry about all these questions, someone asked me about this, I never have to use a long cable before and I don't want to give out wrong info.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
yungman said:
I have not been keeping up with the latest USB standard, is the latest one USBIII? What is the speed of this?
Yes, the last one is USB 3.1 (10Gbit/s). You also have USB 3.0 (5Gbit/s). Some marketing people name them USB 3.1 gen. 2 and gen.1.
yungman said:
Also, I want to run a USB cable at least 4m long, do they have USB cable that long and still work for the fastest USB standard?
Yes, there are USB cables that long for USB 2. I have found USB 3 cables that are 3m.
yungman said:
can I use a Hub to serve as a repeater so I can use two short cables with a Hub in the middle to extend the length. Matter of fact, use more than one Hub to further extending the distance.
Yes, if you get a hub with a separate power supply.

Likes yungman
For very long USB connections it might be better with a so called 'USB extender'. These are turning the original USB to something else (CAT5 or better) and back at the other end. Usually they can't deliver power.
Random product page from the internet (up to 10km!)

My understanding is that 5m is the limit for a standard USB cable and you can go 5m more with an active extension cable. That's how I control my telescope from my couch.

Likes jenni, davenn and yungman
russ_watters said:
That's how I control my telescope from my couch.
YOUR COUCH!

Russ, you just destroyed my image of dedicated amateur astronomers braving the elements and mosquitoes all night to capture that elusive image.:smile:

• Haha
Likes davenn, phinds and dlgoff
russ_watters said:
That's how I control my telescope from my couch.

anorlunda said:
YOUR COUCH!

Russ, you just destroyed my image of dedicated amateur astronomers braving the elements and mosquitoes all night to capture that elusive image.:smile:
But of course Russ is now behind the times :wink: and us truly dedicated amateur astronomers use WiFi for remoter scope operation ...

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-asiair
These things are so cool :smile:

Dave

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
YOUR COUCH!

I do like to think of myself as pretty hardcore still...

Couch Astrophotography.jpg

It can be a rough 15 minutes setting up if it is cold outside at least.

Note: in this room/furniture configuration I'm close enough for just the one USB extension cable, which you can see hanging off the side of the white box under the scope (the shiny black thing is some sort of active female socket). I said above you're limited to 10m and 2 cables, but that may not be strictly true: the white box houses a standard USB hub with a 1m cable - the grey cable sticking out the back. So when I use two 5m cables I'm really at a total of 11m and I've never had an issue. I can't remember though if I've done that since I switched to USB 3.0.

davenn said:
But of course Russ is now behind the times :wink: and us truly dedicated amateur astronomers use WiFi for remoter scope operation ...

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-asiair
These things are so cool :smile:

Dave
Yes, very cool. I hadn't actually seen that one before, but I'll definitely consider it. My main concern though is if I'll still get the same bandwidth and stability as with my current USB3 setup. I do some processing on the fly so I really want the raw images on my laptop immediately. But there's a clear benefit; I'd like to be able to say I've never kicked/pulled out the long USB cable while imaging...

• Haha
Likes davenn and anorlunda

1. Can I use a long USB cable without any issues?

Yes, you can use a long USB cable without any issues as long as it is within the recommended length. The maximum length for a USB 2.0 cable is 5 meters (16.4 feet) and for a USB 3.0 cable is 3 meters (9.8 feet).

2. What happens if I use a longer USB cable than the recommended length?

Using a longer USB cable than the recommended length can result in signal loss and data transfer issues. It can also cause damage to your device or the USB port. It is best to stick to the recommended length for optimal performance.

3. Can I connect multiple long USB cables together to make a longer cable?

No, it is not recommended to connect multiple long USB cables together as it can cause signal loss and data transfer issues. It is best to use a single long USB cable that is within the recommended length.

4. Are there any special considerations when using a long USB cable?

Yes, when using a long USB cable, it is important to make sure that it is of good quality and has proper shielding to prevent signal loss. It is also important to avoid bending or twisting the cable to prevent damage.

5. Can I use a long USB cable for charging my device?

Yes, you can use a long USB cable for charging your device as long as it is within the recommended length. However, using a longer cable may result in slower charging times due to signal loss. It is best to use a shorter cable for faster charging.