A force acts on a particle based on position, determine work. Sign question.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a force acting on a particle and the work done by this force as the particle moves between two points. The person solving the problem used the first equation to find the work, while the solution manual used a negative sign in front of the force in the equation. This is incorrect as the force and displacement are in opposite directions, causing a sign error. The correct solution is found using the first equation with the correct limits of integration.
r0wbrt
I have a question about this problem in relation to the way the solution manual handles it.

Homework Statement

A force Fx acts on a particle of mass 1.5kg. The force is related to the position x of the particle by the formula Fx = Cx3, where C = .50. IF x is in maters and Fx is in Newtons. (a) What are the SI units of C? (b) Find the work done by this force as the particle moves from x = 3.0m to x = 1.5 m. (c) At x = 3.0m the force points in the opposite direction of the particles velocity (speed is 12m/s) What is its speed at x = 1.5m?

Ignore (a)

Homework Equations

[itex]W = \int F_{x} dx[/itex]
[itex] W = \frac{1}{2}{mv}^{2}_{f} - \frac{1}{2}{mv}^{2}_{i}[/itex]
Fx = Cx3

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, when I solved the problem I used the first equation which gave me -9.5 Joules.

[itex]W = {\int}^{1.5m}_{3.0m} .5x^{3} dx = -9.5 Joules[/itex]

However, when I referenced the solution manual, they placed a negative sign in front of Fx in the equation because the force is "in the opposite direction of the displacement."

[itex]W = {\int}^{1.5m}_{3.0m} -.5x^{3} dx = 9.5 Joules[/itex]

This made no sense to me because the velocity of the particle is, from what I can tell, equal to -12m/s because the force function is always positive. So, it only makes sense to me that the force should be slowing the particle down since the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the force.

Consequently, because of the sign conversion, this throws off the answer to c as well because when I calculated the velocity with the negative work the velocity came out to 11.46m/s however, because the manual claims the work was positive, their result was 13m/s.

Derived Equation:
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2W+m{v}^{2}_{i}}{m}} = v_f[/itex]

I can not make sense of why the solution manual flipped the sign of the force function.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution manual is wrong. You're right.

What the solution manual is trying to explain is that the force ##\vec{F}## and the displacement ##d\vec{x}## point in the opposite direction, so
$$dW=\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{x} = |\vec{F}||d\vec{x}|\cos 180^\circ = -|\vec{F}||d\vec{x}|$$What the person who wrote the solution missed was the fact that ##|d\vec{x}| = -dx## because the lower limit of the integral is greater than the upper limit, so the work is given by
$$W = -\int |\vec{F}||d\vec{x}| = +\int_{3.0\text{ m}}^{1.5\text{ m}} Cx^3\,dx$$ as you had.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of force in relation to a particle?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. In the case of a particle, force refers to the push or pull that one object exerts on another.

2. How is a force measured?

A force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) using a device called a dynamometer. This device can measure the amount of force applied to an object.

3. How does position affect the force acting on a particle?

The force acting on a particle is directly proportional to its position. This means that the force will increase or decrease as the position of the particle changes.

4. What is work in terms of force and position?

Work is the energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on it. In the case of a particle, work is the product of the force applied and the distance the particle moves in the direction of the force.

5. How do you determine the work done on a particle based on its position?

To determine the work done on a particle based on its position, you must first calculate the force acting on the particle and then multiply it by the distance the particle moves in the direction of the force. This will give you the amount of work done on the particle.