Newtonian Mechanics : Rectillinear Motion of a Particle

In summary, the problem asks for the velocity and position of a particle starting from rest at x = 0 and t = 0, under the influence of three different force functions. These functions are Fx = F0 + Ct, Fx = F0 sin Ct, and Fx = F0e^ct, where F0 and c are positive constants. The attempt at a solution involved integrating with respect to x, but it was pointed out that t should be known as a function of x first. There was also a mistake in the final step of parts a and b, where the force functions were incorrectly specified.
Fia Ismi Nur Alfiah

Homework Statement

Find the velocity ± and the position x as functions of the time t for a particle of mass m, which starts from rest at x =0 and t =0, subject to the following force functions:
(a) Fx = F0 + Ct
(b) Fx = F0 sin Ct Ct
(c) Fx = F0e^ct
where F0 and c are positive constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-03-24 at 4.59.31 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-03-24 at 4.59.31 PM.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 671
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot integrate t with respect to x until you know what t is as a function of x.
I am not sure why you want to integrate wrt x anyway. What else can you do?
By the way, your typed notation is a bit confusing. You mean Fx=F0+Ct. I.e. F subscript x, not F times x.

haruspex said:
You cannot integrate t with respect to x until you know what t is as a function of x.
I am not sure why you want to integrate wrt x anyway. What else can you do?
By the way, your typed notation is a bit confusing. You mean Fx=F0+Ct. I.e. F subscript x, not F times x.
I have checked my homework, how about my answer here?
1521932852937.jpg

Attachments

• 1521932852937.jpg
    1521932852937.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 507
You made a mistake in the final step in both a and b.
(In post #1 for part b you specified the force as F0sin Ct Ct. i assume the second Ct was a typo.)

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion. This means that an object with a constant speed but changing direction has a varying velocity.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a measure of the change in an object's position from its starting point to its ending point. Distance, on the other hand, is a measure of the total length of the path traveled by an object. While displacement takes into account direction, distance does not.