Register to reply

Is your information destroyed when you reach the singularity

by jadrian
Tags: destroyed, information, reach, singularity
Share this thread:
jadrian
Feb21-12, 11:35 AM
P: 143
from my understanding from an observer in the universe, your information is plastered on the event horizon, and ultimately retrieved when the event horizon shrinks to the schwartschild radius and the singularity explodes. please coreect me if im wrong on that.

if the singularity does not destroy your information, wont this represent a duplication of information and violation of conservation of information?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
atyy
Feb21-12, 02:02 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,667
In semi-classical gravity (quantum matter, fixed curved spacetime) information is destroyed. Organized stuff goes in and comes back out as thermal radiation - the famous Hawking radiation. This isn't due to the singularity, but to the event horizon, which is the point of no return.

It is widely thought that this should not happen in a fully quantum mechanical theory like string theory. However, whether this is so is unclear. One proposal is Mathur's fuzzball proposal.
jadrian
Feb21-12, 06:09 PM
P: 143
Quote Quote by atyy View Post
In semi-classical gravity (quantum matter, fixed curved spacetime) information is destroyed. Organized stuff goes in and comes back out as thermal radiation - the famous Hawking radiation. This isn't due to the singularity, but to the event horizon, which is the point of no return.

It is widely thought that this should not happen in a fully quantum mechanical theory like string theory. However, whether this is so is unclear. One proposal is Mathur's fuzzball proposal.
i dont really see how under any circumstances information can be destroyed. you crossing the event horizing will lead to mass increase in the black hole, which is information. but since inside the event horizon is not part of the universe, and suskind proved that the information will remain in the universe, i dont see any problem other than duplication of matter assuming the singularity eventually releases everything once the event horizon shrinks to the schwartschild radius and your mass outside the event horizon will add to your mass within the horizon.

Khashishi
Feb23-12, 05:39 PM
P: 887
Is your information destroyed when you reach the singularity

I'm pretty sure there is no singularity. Objects don't spiral into the center of a black hole for the same reason that electrons don't spiral into the nucleus. There's some ground state there.

Register to reply