Capacitors connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how many 1.48 µF capacitors need to be connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C with a potential of 105 V across the capacitors. The answer is an exact number with no tolerance, and rounding up to 9589 is suggested. The conversation also mentions the impossibility of buying a fraction of a capacitor.
McAfee

Homework Statement

rIbhP.png

How many 1.48 µF capacitors must be connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C with a potential of 105 V across the capacitors?

Homework Equations

Refer to the attempt at a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

10AcM.jpg

Also, for the answer exact number, no tolerance. I tried just rounding the number but that didn't work. I not sure. Does it mean I should round the answer up to 9589?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi McAfee! :smile:

(i haven't checked your figures)
McAfee said:
How many 1.48 µF capacitors must be connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C with a potential of 105 V across the capacitors?

Also, for the answer exact number, no tolerance. I tried just rounding the number but that didn't work. I not sure. Does it mean I should round the answer up to 9589?

yes, of course

you can't buy 0.16 of a capacitor, can you? :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Hi McAfee! :smile:

(i haven't checked your figures)

yes, of course

you can't buy 0.16 of a capacitor, can you? :biggrin:

You are right. Thanks for the help.

Question 1: What is the total capacitance when capacitors are connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C?

The total capacitance when capacitors are connected in parallel is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. Therefore, to find the total capacitance, you would need to add up the capacitance values of each capacitor.

Question 2: How do you calculate the voltage when capacitors are connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C?

To calculate the voltage when capacitors are connected in parallel, you can use the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance. Since we know the charge and the total capacitance, we can rearrange the formula to solve for voltage.

Question 3: Can the capacitors be of different sizes when connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C?

Yes, the capacitors can be of different sizes when connected in parallel. The total capacitance will still be the sum of the individual capacitances. However, the voltage across each capacitor may be different, depending on their individual capacitance values.

Question 4: What happens to the charge when capacitors are connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C?

The charge remains the same when capacitors are connected in parallel. The total charge is distributed among the capacitors, but the overall amount of charge remains constant.

Question 5: Why are capacitors connected in parallel to store a charge of 1.49 C?

Capacitors are connected in parallel to store a larger amount of charge. When connected in parallel, the total capacitance increases, which allows for a larger amount of charge to be stored. This can be useful in various electronic circuits and devices.