Ranking charge stored on three capacitors by a battery

In summary: Since ##C_2## and ##C_3## are parallel to each other their equivalent capacitance is ##C_2 + C_3##.Since ##C_1## is in series with the battery its equivalent capacitance is ##C_1 + C_2##.Since ##Q_1 > Q_3 > Q_2##, ##Q_1 > Q_2 > Q_3##.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1675976058981.png

The solution is,
1675976090665.png

I have a few questions about parts of the solutions,

- Part(b):

(1) Why do they assume that the capacitors are initially uncharged? Do they even need to make that assumption because it seems clear to me that we are finding the charge stored by each capacitor once the circuit has reached steady state. Would it not be better to say assume capacitors ##C_1##, ##C_2## and ##C_3## are charged?

(2) How did they get ## Q_1 > Q_3 > Q_2 ##? I don't understand their statement about if the capacitors are initially uncharged then ##C_1## stores the same charge as ##C_2## and ##C_3## in steady state. I though the answer should be ##Q_2 < Q_1 < Q_3 ## as it should be in the order from smallest to largest capacitance since ##Q ∝ C## (from ##C = \frac {Q}{V}##), correct?

- Part(d):

(3) I don't understand why the charge ##Q## increases from ##Q_i## to ##Q_f##. I thought charge would be conserved in this circuit, why is it not conserved?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't have to assume that the capacitors are initially uncharged. I can see why the ranking done conceptually could be confusing to you. Perhaps you can do it by actually solving for the charges and the voltages. Remember that the sum of voltage drops and rises around a closed loop is zero.

Callumnc1 said:
as it should be in the order from smallest to largest capacitance since ##Q \propto C##
If you compare charge stored in capacitors, the capacitor with the larger capacitance is guaranteed to hold more charge only if the voltage across the capacitors is the same. In ##Q=CV##, if you want to compare ##Q##s you cannot only look at ##C## and ignore ##V##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and PhDeezNutz
kuruman said:
They don't have to assume that the capacitors are initially uncharged. I can see why the ranking done conceptually could be confusing to you. Perhaps you can do it by actually solving for the charges and the voltages. Remember that the sum of voltage drops and rises around a closed loop is zero.If you compare charge stored in capacitors, the capacitor with the larger capacitance is guaranteed to hold more charge only if the voltage across the capacitors is the same. In ##Q=CV##, if you want to compare ##Q##s you cannot only look at ##C## and ignore ##V##.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman ! Thank you for reminding me for looking at ##V##!

So in terms of proving their ranking ## Q_1 > Q_3 > Q_2 ## symbolically, do you know what steps I have done wrong please?

Finding the equivalent capacitance of the circuit,

##C_{eq} = 2C = \frac {Q}{V_1 + V_2 + V_3} = \frac {Q}{\epsilon}##

Adding up the positive charge on each plate,

##Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3 = Q##

Applying KVL to circuit,

##\epsilon = V_1 + V_2 + V_3 ##

##\epsilon = \frac {Q_1}{C_1} + \frac {Q_2}{C_2}+ \frac {Q_3}{C_3} ##

## \frac {Q}{2C}= \frac {Q_1}{C_1} + \frac {Q_2}{C_2}+ \frac {Q_3}{C_3} ##

## \frac {Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3}{2C} = \frac {Q_1}{C_1} + \frac {Q_2}{C_2}+ \frac {Q_3}{C_3} ##

## \frac {Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3}{2C} = \frac {Q_1}{3C} + \frac {Q_2}{C}+ \frac {Q_3}{5C} ##

## \frac {Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3}{2C} = \frac {5Q_1C^2 + 15Q_2C^2 + 3Q_3C^2}{15C^3} ##

## 7.5C^2(Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3) = 5Q_1C^2 + 15Q_2C^2 + 3Q_3C^2 ##

## 7.5Q_1 + 7.5Q_2 + 7.5Q_3 = 5Q_1 + 15Q_2 + 3Q_3##

Many thanks!

I don't think you know what you are doing. The first thing you need to do is to identify which capacitors are in series and which are in parallel, not assume that they are all in series which is what your equations say. This identification is done for you in the solution which you ignored for some reason. Your application of KVL is incorrect. You just don't set the sum of all possible potential differences equal to the battery voltage. If you don't remember how to use KVL, please read up on it.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
I don't think you know what you are doing. The first thing you need to do is to identify which capacitors are in series and which are in parallel, not assume that they are all in series which is what your equations say. This identification is done for you in the solution which you ignored for some reason. Your application of KVL is incorrect. You just don't set the sum of all possible potential differences equal to the battery voltage. If you don't remember how to use KVL, please read up on it.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

##C_1## is in series with the battery
##C_2## and ##C_3## is in parallel with the battery

Since ##C_2## and ##C_3## are parallel to each other their equivalent capacitance is ##C_2 + C_3##.

I think what I did wrong with KVL was that I did not finding the equivalent capacitance of the capacitors in parallel.

So if I replace branch's ##C_2## and ##C_3## with ##C_{23}## I get:
1675994162675.png

So now ##V_1## and ##V_{23}## oppose the source, I think.

##\epsilon - V_1 - V_{23} = 0 ##
##\epsilon = V_1 + V_{23} ##

So I think what I did wrong was that I applied KVL for the whole loop.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1675994074135.png
    1675994074135.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 1675994385504.png
    1675994385504.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 52
That's much better.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
That's much better.
Thank you @kuruman !

What is the equation for calculating the charge stored on a capacitor?

The equation for calculating the charge stored on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

How do you rank the charge stored on three capacitors connected to a battery?

To rank the charge stored on three capacitors connected to a battery, you can use the equation Q = CV for each capacitor and compare the values of Q. The capacitor with the highest charge will have the highest value of Q.

Can the charge stored on a capacitor be negative?

No, the charge stored on a capacitor cannot be negative. It can only be positive or zero.

What happens to the charge stored on a capacitor if the voltage is increased?

If the voltage across a capacitor is increased, the charge stored on the capacitor will also increase. This is because the capacitance remains constant, so according to the equation Q = CV, an increase in voltage will result in an increase in charge.

How does the distance between the plates of a capacitor affect the charge stored?

The distance between the plates of a capacitor, also known as the plate separation, affects the charge stored by influencing the capacitance value. The closer the plates are, the higher the capacitance and therefore the higher the charge stored. Similarly, increasing the distance between the plates will decrease the capacitance and the charge stored.