Register to reply

Evalution of a complex integral

by Random Variable
Tags: complex, evalution, integral
Share this thread:
Random Variable
Mar1-12, 02:39 PM
P: 116
Is there a problem with the following evaluation?

[itex]\displaystyle \int e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}} \int e^{-u^{2}} \ du = \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \text{erf}(u) + C = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \text{erf} (\sqrt{i}x) + C[/itex]

So [itex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \text{erf} (\sqrt{i}x) \Big|^{\infty}_{0} = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \text{erf} (\sqrt{i} \infty) [/itex]

or more precisely [itex] \displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \lim_{R \to \infty} \text{erf} (\sqrt{i} R) [/itex]

The error function has an essential singularity at [itex] \infty [/itex] , so the limit as you approach [itex] \infty [/itex] is path dependent. But aren't we looking specifically for the limit as we approach [itex] \infty [/itex] on the line that originates at the origin and makes a 45 degree angle with the positive real axis?

So my idea was to use asymptotic expansion of the error function ([itex] \displaystyle 1 - e^{-x^{2}} O \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) [/itex]), replace [itex] x [/itex] with [itex] \sqrt{i} R[/itex], and take the limit as [itex]R[/itex] goes to [itex] \infty [/itex]. Is that valid?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
mathman
Mar1-12, 04:15 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,076
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_integral

exp(-ix2) = cos(x2) - isin(x2).

Above reference discusses the integrals as well as the integral from 0 to infinity.
Random Variable
Mar1-12, 05:11 PM
P: 116
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_integral

exp(-ix2) = cos(x2) - isin(x2).

Above reference discusses the integrals as well as the integral from 0 to infinity.

I want to evaluate the integral without using a closed contour and the residue theorem.

mathman
Mar2-12, 03:56 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,076
Evalution of a complex integral

You can carry out the integrals for the cos and sin from 0 to T and let T -> ∞.

Register to reply