I need to check if I am right solving this integral

In summary, the elementary integral is ##\displaystyle\int{\displaystyle\frac{1}{a^2+x^2}dx}=\displaystyle\frac{1}{a}\tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac{x}{a}+C##, and the example is ##\displaystyle\int{\Big(5x^{3/5}-\displaystyle\frac{3}{2+x^2}\Big)dx}=\displaystyle\frac{25}{8}x^{8/5}-\displaystyle\frac{3}{\sqrt{2}}\tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}+C##. The first statement agrees with the solution
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have a list of elementary integrals, and among them one that involves arctangent; the example I am dealing with is a combination I will propose in the next discussion paragraph.
Hi, PF

1-The elementary integral is ##\displaystyle\int{\displaystyle\frac{1}{a^2+x^2}dx}=\displaystyle\frac{1}{a}\tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac{x}{a}+C##

2-The example is ##\displaystyle\int{\Big(5x^{3/5}-\displaystyle\frac{3}{2+x^2}\Big)dx}=\displaystyle\frac{25}{8}x^{8/5}-\displaystyle\frac{3}{\sqrt{2}}\tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}+C##

The question is: does the first statement agree with the solution showed?; any comment?

Greetings!

PD: I post without preview.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it does. What is your uneasiness ?

Likes vanhees71 and mcastillo356
anuttarasammyak said:
Yes, it does. What is your uneasiness ?
Thanks a lot! I needed some help. I confess maths are among my favorite fields, but I am not specially good at them. I was quite sure, but still wanted to share with somebody. It was just some kind of necessity to put things in common; just ease my loneliness at this ground so interesting to me.
P&L.
Greetings!

Likes vanhees71 and anuttarasammyak

1. How do I know if my solution to an integral is correct?

The best way to check if your solution to an integral is correct is to differentiate your answer and see if it matches the original function. If it does, then your solution is most likely correct.

2. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when solving integrals include forgetting to apply the chain rule, making sign errors, and forgetting to include the constant of integration.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my solution to an integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your solution to an integral. However, it is always recommended to double check your work by hand as well.

4. What are some strategies for solving difficult integrals?

Some strategies for solving difficult integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to break the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Is there a way to check my solution to an integral without differentiating it?

Yes, you can check your solution to an integral by plugging it into the original function and seeing if it produces the correct result. This method is known as the "sanity check" and can help catch any major errors in your solution.