How to determine enthalpy of formation

by Norseman
Tags: determine, enthalpy, formation
Share this thread:
Norseman
Mar2-12, 04:24 PM
P: 24
Background:
I've seen many different values for enthalpy of formation on Wikipedia, such as the following: MgO: -602 kJ·mol−1, Fe2O3: -826 kJ·mol−1, NO: 90.29 kJ·mol−1.

I'm curious about these values, but I have no idea how they were determined and I've only taken an introductory course in chemistry. However, my understanding is that these values can be used to determine (or at least estimate) how much energy will be released (or consumed) by a chemical process which converts one set of compounds into another.

Question:
Is it possible to calculate the enthalpy of formation for a given compound, or is it only possible to determine that based on an experiment? If so, are there any good, free reference materials for that kind of information?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Nano-sized chip "sniffs out" explosives far better than trained dogs
A tree may have the answers to renewable energy
Borek
Mar2-12, 05:24 PM
Admin
P: 23,363
You can try to estimate them using bond formation energies, but the result is never very precise.
Norseman
Mar2-12, 06:10 PM
P: 24
Okay. How do I estimate using bond formation energy? Also, how imprecise are you talking about? ±50%? An order of magnitude? More?

Borek
Mar3-12, 02:20 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
How to determine enthalpy of formation

Tens of percent usually.

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&...ng+bond+energy
DrDu
Mar3-12, 11:10 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,551
Some enthalpies can be obtained by measuring heat in a calorimeter. A very precise way to determine enthalpies is via the van't Hoff equation e.g. from the change of electric potentials of electrolytic cells with temperature.

Register to reply