Show set (which is a subset of R^n) is bounded

by Berrius
Tags: bounded, subset
Share this thread:
Berrius
Mar3-12, 03:09 PM
P: 19
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Show that [itex]D = { (x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} | 7x^2+2y^2 \leq 6, x^3+y \leq z \leq x^2y+5y^3}[/itex] is bounded.

2. Relevant equations
Definition of bounded:[itex]D \subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is called bounded if there exists a M > 0 such that [itex]D \subseteq \{x \in \mathbb{R}^{n} | ||x|| \leq M\}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
I have to find a M such that [itex]D \subseteq \{(x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} | x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \leq M\}[/itex]. I thought of just picking a very high M, say 999999. But how do I show it works?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Office_Shredder
Mar3-12, 03:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
It's often easier to show that each coordinate is bounded, say x,y and z are all smaller than 10 maybe. Then ||(x,y,z)|| < ||(10,10,10)|| = M
Berrius
Mar3-12, 05:16 PM
P: 19
So if I say something like: [itex]7x^2+2y^2 \leq 6 \Rightarrow y^2 \leq 3 \lt 4 \Rightarrow y \lt 2[/itex]
and [itex]7x^2+2y^2 \leq 6 \Rightarrow x^2 \leq \frac{6}{7} \lt 1 \Rightarrow x \lt 1[/itex]
and [itex]z \leq x^2y+5y^3 \Rightarrow z \lt (2+5*8)=42[/itex]
So choose M = 4+1+42^2 = 1769. And this M will do.

Office_Shredder
Mar3-12, 05:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Show set (which is a subset of R^n) is bounded

Careful, M=||(1,2,42)|| is the square root of the number you put up. As long as M is larger than 1 that won't matter, but if the norm happens to be smaller than 1 failing to take the square root can give a value of M that doesn't work

Register to reply