On the definition of radius of convergence; a small supremum technicality

schniefen
Homework Statement
I have a question about a definition of the radius of convergence, in particular about a small detail regarding a property of the supremum.
Relevant Equations
If ##M=\sup (A)##, then for every ##M'<M##, there exists an ##x\in A## such that ##x>M'##.
I am reading the following passage in these lecture notes (chapter 10, in the proof of theorem 10.3) on power series (and have seen similar statements in other texts):

Let $$R=\sup \left\{\left|x\right|\ge 0:\sum a_nx^n \text{ converges}\right\}.$$ If ##R=0##, then the series converges only for ##x=0##. If ##R>0##, then the series converges absolutely for every ##x\in \mathbb R## with ##|x|<R##, since it converges for some ##x_0\in\mathbb R## with ##|x|<|x_0|<R##.

I'm confused about ##|x_0|<R##.

If ##M=\sup (A)##, then for every ##M'<M##, there exists an ##x\in A## such that ##x>M'##. Then, using the definition of an upper bound (in e.g. Spivak's Calculus), it follows that ##M'<x\color{red}{\leq} M##. Suppose ##A=\{1,2,3\}##, then ##2.8<3##, but stating ##2.8<3<3## would be incorrect.

Why is it correct then to state ##|x_0|<R## in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, it should be ##|x|<|x_0|\le R##.

Likes schniefen
Your definition of sup is not complete:
##M=\sup A\Longleftrightarrow##
1) ##x\in A\Rightarrow x\le M##
2) for any ##M'<M## it follows that there exists ##x\in A## such that ##x>M'##

Likes schniefen
I thought maybe the statement ##|x|<|x_0|< R## is not incorrect after all if the set $$\left\{\left|x\right|\ge 0:\sum a_nx^n \text{ converges}\right\}$$ is an interval, but this is not something we know a priori. Besides I am really not sure how to show the set is an interval -- probably requires a definition of what an interval is. Anyway, this seems far-fetched and I lean towards a typo, though I have seen this stated in other texts as well (see for instance A First Course in Mathematical Analysis by Brannan, chapter 8, section 8.3).

schniefen said:
Why is it correct then to state ##|x_0|<R## in this case?
You can go directly from the statement for ##|x_0| \le R## to ##\exists x_1 : |x| \lt |x_1| \lt |x_0| \le R## to ##|x| \lt |x_1| \lt R##.

Likes schniefen
FactChecker said:
You can go directly from the statement for ##|x_0| \le R## to ##\exists x_1 : |x| \lt |x_1| \lt |x_0| \le R## to ##|x| \lt |x_1| \lt R##.
Not directly, but by proving that the series is convergent at ##x_1##. That is not a problem, just a redundant step.

upd

schniefen said:
Besides I am really not sure how to show the set is an interval
Theorem. If the series is convergent at ##x'## then it is convergent in the interval ##\{|x|<|x'|\}##. (It is an interval in ##\mathbb{R}## and a circle if we consider ##\mathbb{C}##)

This theorem is proved in any textbook where power series are discussed. Find it.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK, FactChecker and schniefen
Ok, I think this clarified it. Thanks a lot!

To summarize; by the definition of the supremum, we have ##|x| \lt |x_0| \leq R##. Now, ##\sum a_nx^n## converges for ##x=x_0## and so for all ##x\in\mathbb R## with ##|x|<|x_0|##. As @FactChecker pointed out, we can find an ##|x_1|## such that ##|x|<|x_1|<|x_0|## and we are done.

schniefen said:
Ok, I think this clarified it. Thanks a lot!

To summarize; by the definition of the supremum, we have ##|x| \lt |x_0| \leq R##. Now, ##\sum a_nx^n## converges for ##x=x_0## and so for all ##x\in\mathbb R## with ##|x|<|x_0|##. As @FactChecker pointed out, we can find an ##|x_1|## such that ##|x|<|x_1|<|x_0|## and we are done.
Yes. But as @wrobel pointed out above, there is no point in doing this. Using ##\le## as you originally suggested is more directly derived from the definitions.

1. What is the definition of radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in power series to determine the range of values for which the series will converge. It is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point at which the series diverges.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, then the series converges. The radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of this limit.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence determines the set of values for which the power series will converge. It also provides information about the behavior of the series near the boundary of convergence. If a value falls outside the radius of convergence, the series will diverge.

4. Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, it is possible for the radius of convergence to be infinite. This means that the power series will converge for all values of the variable. However, this is not always the case and the radius of convergence can also be a finite non-zero value.

5. Is the radius of convergence affected by small technicalities?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be affected by small technicalities such as the choice of the supremum. In some cases, using different definitions of the supremum can lead to different values for the radius of convergence. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the technicalities when calculating the radius of convergence.