Does Current Flow Misrepresent How Charge Moves?

• Thread starter PhantomPower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, The concept of current has been presented in various ways and it refers to the flow of charge. There is a question about whether current may flow outside the wire in charge density fields. The idea of "current flowing" may seem strange, but it is related to the formula \frac{\delta q}{\delta t}. The difference between current flow and current is just bad grammar and it can be helpful to specify the direction in which the current is flowing. Understanding electrical current as a flow of electrons often comes after learning the basic formulas and talking about it. It may be more helpful to have a microscopic view of electric current. The term "current flow" may also apply to positive charge carriers, not just in metals but also in other
PhantomPower
The idea of current has been presented to me so many different ways I thought id try and find out a little more into what exactly is current.

Most places refer to a flow of charge as a current, seems good to me, but - I heard the current may flow outside the wire in... I want to say charge desnty fields but don't quote me on that... Is this is case? if so how?

Secondly the concept of "current flowing" seems to me very strage - if current = [itex]\frac{\delta q}{\delta t}[/itex] surely this implies the "current flow" people speak of is : [itex]\frac{\delta^2 q}{\delta^2 t}[/itex] ?

Thank you for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't answer the first question, but as to current flow verses current, the former is just bad grammer. it can be useful to specify the direction which the current is in.

this probably comes from the usual way people are introduced to current, as one of three objects in Ohm / Kirchoff Laws. often, an understanding that electrical current is a flow of electrons comes after the basic formulae, and after we have learned to talk about it.

Would a Microscopic View of Electric current be more helpful?

miccur.gif

I will defiately be more careful as to "current flow" in the future in terms of the model shown I assume this is the exact same for positive charge carriers? Not in a metal but I remember reading they do exist (Ice perhaps it was?).

Do we perhaps talk about current too often when we really mean to speak of the charge?

1. What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material, usually measured in amperes.

2. How is current generated?

Current is generated when there is a difference in electric potential between two points, causing electrons to flow from the higher potential to the lower potential.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) flows in a back and forth motion, constantly changing direction. DC (direct current) flows in a single direction. Most household outlets use AC current, while batteries provide DC current.

4. What are some practical applications of current?

Current is used in many everyday devices such as lights, appliances, and electronics. It is also essential in industries such as manufacturing and transportation.

5. How is current measured?

Current is measured using a device called an ammeter, which is placed in series with the circuit. The unit for measuring current is amperes (A).