Register to reply

Showing that (x+iy)/r is an eigenfunction of the angular momentum operator

Share this thread:
Edgarngg
Mar6-12, 11:46 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I know that,if (operator)(function)=(value)(samefunction)
that function is said to be eigenfunction of the operator.
in this case i need to show this function to be eigenfunction of the Lz angular momentum:

2. Relevant equations
function:
ψ=(x+iy)/r
operator:
Lz= (h bar)/i (x [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]y - y [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)

3. The attempt at a solution
My question is how do i treat "r", do i have to change to polar coordinates? or is it possible to do it like this.
i know that i have to apply the operator over the function, and that is (h bar/i) (x(partial derivative for y)- y(partial der for x)) and then see if i get the same function multiplied by an eigenvalue.
the problem i have is that i dont know how to treat that function, since i see an "r" there. So when d/dx "r" and "y" would be constant, and that doesnt make sense to me.
Thank you very much
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Dick
Mar7-12, 12:38 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Quote Quote by Edgarngg View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I know that,if (operator)(function)=(value)(samefunction)
that function is said to be eigenfunction of the operator.
in this case i need to show this function to be eigenfunction of the Lz angular momentum:

2. Relevant equations
function:
ψ=(x+iy)/r
operator:
Lz= (h bar)/i (x [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]y - y [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)

3. The attempt at a solution
My question is how do i treat "r", do i have to change to polar coordinates? or is it possible to do it like this.
i know that i have to apply the operator over the function, and that is (h bar/i) (x(partial derivative for y)- y(partial der for x)) and then see if i get the same function multiplied by an eigenvalue.
the problem i have is that i dont know how to treat that function, since i see an "r" there. So when d/dx "r" and "y" would be constant, and that doesnt make sense to me.
Thank you very much
r=sqrt(x^2+y^2), isn't it?

Register to reply