Why does a symmetric wavefunction imply the angular momentum is even?

In summary: don't quite understand how the angular momentum $l$ is related to the symmetricity of a wave function.
mjmnr3
Homework Statement
1.8 Consider the strong interaction ##\pi^{-} d \rightarrow n n,## where ##d## is a spin- 1 S-wave bound state of a proton and a neutron called the deuteron and the initial pion is at rest. Deduce the intrinsic parity of the negative pion.
Relevant Equations
$$\hat{P}\psi_{nlm}=p(-1)^l \psi_{nlm}$$
I looked in the instructor solutions, which are given by:
1600604440362.png

1600604464044.png

But I don't quite understand the solution, so I hope you can help me understand it.

First. Why do we even know we are working with wavefunctions with the quantum numbers n,l,m? Don't we only get these quantum numbers if the particles we're working with, is in a spherical symmetric potential?
So in other words, why do we need to consider the quantum number l (angular momentum)? Is that because strong force gives rise to a spherical potential?

When using the parity operator, why do we get the the combined angular momentum ##(-1)^{L_{\pi d}}## and not just: ##(-1)^{L_{\pi}}\cdot (-1)^{L_d}##. Can I always just couple the angular momentum when working with multiple particle wavefunctions, and assume operators only works on the coupled angular momentum?

The most important question, is how the angular momentum relates to the symmetry of a wave function.
Why does a symmetric space wavefunction ##\psi_{space}=symmetric## implies that the angular momentum ##L_{nn}## has to be even?
And the opposite. Why does an antisymmetric wavefunction imply uneven angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
mjmnr3 said:
First. Why do we even know we are working with wavefunctions with the quantum numbers n,l,m? Don't we only get these quantum numbers if the particles we're working with, is in a spherical symmetric potential?
So in other words, why do we need to consider the quantum number l (angular momentum)? Is that because strong force gives rise to a spherical potential?
I don't see n, l, and m in there. Rather, you have particles scattering off each other, for which the potential is going to be spherically symmetric, and the overall scattering process will have cylindrical symmetry. It is usual to treat such problem by decomposing the angular part of the wave function into spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}##.

mjmnr3 said:
When using the parity operator, why do we get the the combined angular momentum ##(-1)^{L_{\pi d}}## and not just: ##(-1)^{L_{\pi}}\cdot (-1)^{L_d}##. Can I always just couple the angular momentum when working with multiple particle wavefunctions, and assume operators only works on the coupled angular momentum?
You are considering the entire system, so you must take into account the total angular momentum of the pion-deuteron system.

mjmnr3 said:
The most important question, is how the angular momentum relates to the symmetry of a wave function.
Why does a symmetric space wavefunction ##\psi_{space}=symmetric## implies that the angular momentum ##L_{nn}## has to be even?
And the opposite. Why does an antisymmetric wavefunction imply uneven angular momentum?
The final state is two neutrons, so two identical fermions. By the Pauli principle, the total wave function must be anti-symmetric.

Likes Abhishek11235 and vanhees71
mjmnr3 said:
Why does a symmetric space wavefunction ##\psi_{space}=symmetric## implies that the angular momentum ##L_{nn}## has to be even? And the opposite. Why does an antisymmetric wavefunction imply uneven angular momentum?
It's because of the parity of the spherical harmonics: ##\hat P Y_l^m(\theta,\phi) = Y_l^m(\pi-\theta,\phi+\pi) = (-1)^l Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)##.

Likes Abhishek11235 and vanhees71
vela said:
It's because of the parity of the spherical harmonics: ##\hat P Y_l^m(\theta,\phi) = Y_l^m(\pi-\theta,\phi+\pi) = (-1)^l Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)##.

But I believe there is a distinction between a spatial symmetric/even function (##\hat{P} \psi_{nlm}=+\psi_{nlm}##, for even ##l##) and a symmetric wavefunction?

Pauli's exclusion principle tells us that the total wavefunction should be antisymmetric for identical fermions. So if the spin wavefunction is antisymmetric, the spatial wavefunction needs to be symmetric. But what a symmetric wave function means, is just that it needs to satisfy: $$\psi(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})=\psi(\vec{r_2},\vec{r_1})$$ Where ##\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2}## is the position vectors for particle 1 and 2, respectively.

But that kind of symmetry is not directly related to the parity and thus a spatial symmetric wavefunction?

DrClaude said:
I don't see n, l, and m in there. Rather, you have particles scattering off each other, for which the potential is going to be spherically symmetric, and the overall scattering process will have cylindrical symmetry. It is usual to treat such problem by decomposing the angular part of the wave function into spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}##.You are considering the entire system, so you must take into account the total angular momentum of the pion-deuteron system.The final state is two neutrons, so two identical fermions. By the Pauli principle, the total wave function must be anti-symmetric.

Thank you very much for your reply. What I meant by "n,l,m" is that I have only seen how the angular momentum $l$ appears in the parity operator when acting on wavefunctions as solutions to a spherically symmetric potential. And typically the quantum number $l$ arises when solving the Schrodinger equation for a spherically symmetric potential.

So if the wavefunctions were solutions to an asymmetric potential, I believe it would be wrong to assume, that we would be working with the same quantum numbers $n,l,m$ and that the parity operator would act the same way, as we see with solutions to a symmetric potential.

Note, that I'm not saying that particles in asymmetric potentials don't have angular momentum. Just that I wouldn't know if solutions to such a Hamilton would have the same type of quantum numbers, and how the parity operator would work on such a system.

mjmnr3 said:
But I believe there is a distinction between a spatial symmetric/even function (##\hat{P} \psi_{nlm}=+\psi_{nlm}##, for even ##l##) and a symmetric wavefunction?
It's been awhile for me, so I could be misremembering. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the case.

The potential for the interaction depends on ##\lvert \vec r_1 - \vec r_2 \rvert##, so you can analyze the interaction in terms of the center of mass of the system and the relative position of the particles, ##\vec r = \vec r_1 - \vec r_2##. Exchanging identical particles then is the same as replacing ##\vec r## by ##-\vec r##. Hence, a symmetric wave function is one which is even parity, and an antisymmetric wave function is one that is odd parity.

Likes vanhees71
The last point is now to also take into account the spin state! In other words, think about what means that the d is a "1S bound state" concerning the symmetry properties of the spin?

1. What is a symmetric wavefunction?

A symmetric wavefunction is a mathematical description of a particle's quantum state that remains unchanged when the positions of two or more particles are exchanged. This means that the probability of finding the particles in certain positions is the same, regardless of which particles are in those positions.

2. How does a symmetric wavefunction relate to angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is described by the quantum number l, which can only take on even integer values (0, 2, 4, etc.) for a symmetric wavefunction. This is because the exchange of particles in a symmetric wavefunction must result in the same overall state, and this can only happen if the angular momentum is even.

3. Can a wavefunction be both symmetric and antisymmetric?

No, a wavefunction can only be either symmetric or antisymmetric. This is known as the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two particles can have the same quantum state. If the wavefunction is symmetric, the particles are indistinguishable and must have the same quantum state, while an antisymmetric wavefunction indicates that the particles have opposite quantum states.

4. How does the symmetry of a wavefunction affect the behavior of particles?

The symmetry of a wavefunction affects the behavior of particles in terms of their allowed energies and quantum states. For example, particles with symmetric wavefunctions are subject to different selection rules for transitions between energy levels compared to particles with antisymmetric wavefunctions.

5. Why is it important to consider the symmetry of a wavefunction?

The symmetry of a wavefunction is important because it provides valuable information about the properties and behavior of particles. It allows us to make predictions about their energy levels, angular momentum, and other quantum states. Additionally, it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles in the microscopic world.