Register to reply

RIT vs Stony Brook

by FireHoose
Tags: comparison, physics, rit, suny stonybrook
Share this thread:
FireHoose
Mar13-12, 01:01 PM
P: 1
So I've gotten accepted to both RIT and SUNY Stonybrooks Physics programs. I am planning on attending Grad school for Physics after 4 years as well. I was curious as to which school has a better program or would be better for my undergrad? Or just any other input from you guys. Thank you in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
LBloom
Mar13-12, 09:34 PM
P: 173
I'm an SBU student myself, so I can speak for the program here. Let me put it like this, SBU has a great graduate physics program and brilliant physics faculty. A cursory glance at the RIT physics website seems to show that their program is smaller and their research isn't as wide. There seems to be a focus on optical and condensed matter physics. There doesn't seem to be anything in particle physics, nuclear physics, or theoretical physics. Plus there's always Brookhaven which Stony Brook runs. If you want to be exposed to more research areas, SBU would be better.

In terms of the actual undergraduate program, my best advice would be to contact the undergraduate advisors at each school and look up the curricula and what courses are regularly offered. You may also find physics is not for you and you should take this into account when comparing schools.
Zweig
May14-12, 07:44 AM
P: 8
Hello,

I'm not a student at any of them, but if you're interested in Astrophysics PhD (especially relativistic astrophysics), then RIT seems to be a good place.

Here the Astrophysics Science and Technology (AST) PhD courses listing : w w w.rit.edu/cos/astrophysics/courses.html

And here the Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation (CCRG)dedicated to research at the frontiers of numerical relativity and relativistic astrophysics, gravitational-wave physics, its connection to experiments and observations, and high-performance computation and scientific visualization : h t t p : / / ccrg.rit.edu/

Many of faculty members did their PhD at Top-ranked US universities in Astrophysics, so it seems to be a nice center of research !

Register to reply