RIT vs SUNY Stony Brook Physics Programs

• Thread starter FireHoose
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's acceptance to RIT and SUNY Stonybrook's Physics programs, their plans to attend graduate school after 4 years, and their desire for input on which school would be better for their undergraduate studies. A student from SBU speaks highly of their graduate program and faculty, and also mentions RIT's focus on optical and condensed matter physics but lack of other areas such as particle and theoretical physics. They also suggest contacting undergraduate advisors and considering other potential interests before making a decision. Another person adds that RIT has a strong Astrophysics PhD program and provides links to the course offerings and research center.
FireHoose
So I've gotten accepted to both RIT and SUNY Stonybrooks Physics programs. I am planning on attending Grad school for Physics after 4 years as well. I was curious as to which school has a better program or would be better for my undergrad? Or just any other input from you guys. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an SBU student myself, so I can speak for the program here. Let me put it like this, SBU has a great graduate physics program and brilliant physics faculty. A cursory glance at the RIT physics website seems to show that their program is smaller and their research isn't as wide. There seems to be a focus on optical and condensed matter physics. There doesn't seem to be anything in particle physics, nuclear physics, or theoretical physics. Plus there's always Brookhaven which Stony Brook runs. If you want to be exposed to more research areas, SBU would be better.

In terms of the actual undergraduate program, my best advice would be to contact the undergraduate advisors at each school and look up the curricula and what courses are regularly offered. You may also find physics is not for you and you should take this into account when comparing schools.

Hello,

I'm not a student at any of them, but if you're interested in Astrophysics PhD (especially relativistic astrophysics), then RIT seems to be a good place.

Here the Astrophysics Science and Technology (AST) PhD courses listing : w w w.rit.edu/cos/astrophysics/courses.html

And here the Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation (CCRG)dedicated to research at the frontiers of numerical relativity and relativistic astrophysics, gravitational-wave physics, its connection to experiments and observations, and high-performance computation and scientific visualization : h t t p : / / ccrg.rit.edu/

Many of faculty members did their PhD at Top-ranked US universities in Astrophysics, so it seems to be a nice center of research !

1. What is the difference between the RIT and SUNY Stony Brook Physics programs?

The main difference between the RIT and SUNY Stony Brook Physics programs is the size and location of the universities. RIT is a smaller private university located in Rochester, NY, while SUNY Stony Brook is a larger public university located in Stony Brook, NY. Additionally, RIT is known for its co-op program, where students gain hands-on work experience in their field, while SUNY Stony Brook is known for its research opportunities.

2. Which program has a better reputation for physics?

Both RIT and SUNY Stony Brook have reputable physics programs. RIT's program is ranked #6 in the nation for undergraduate physics programs by College Factual, while SUNY Stony Brook's program is ranked #25 by U.S. News & World Report. It ultimately depends on the individual's preferences and goals.

3. What are the research opportunities like at RIT and SUNY Stony Brook?

RIT and SUNY Stony Brook both offer a variety of research opportunities for students in the physics field. RIT's co-op program allows students to gain research experience through their work experience, while SUNY Stony Brook has various research centers and labs for students to participate in.

4. How do the class sizes compare between RIT and SUNY Stony Brook?

Due to RIT's smaller size, their classes tend to be smaller and more personalized, with an average class size of 23 students. SUNY Stony Brook, being a larger university, has larger class sizes, with an average class size of 27 students.

5. What are the career opportunities like for graduates of RIT and SUNY Stony Brook's physics programs?

Both RIT and SUNY Stony Brook have strong career placement rates for graduates of their physics programs. RIT's co-op program often leads to job offers from the companies students worked for during their co-op experience. SUNY Stony Brook's research opportunities also provide students with valuable experience and connections for future job opportunities in the field of physics.