Which school from these choices for undergrad physics?

In summary, the best choices for undergraduate physics programs according to the son are SUNY Stony Brook, UB (SUNY @ Buffalo), and RIT. If money is not an object, then UofR would be a good choice. Other factors such as the student's work ethic and grades are more important than the quality of the undergraduate physics program.
PhysicsMom
Hello! I've been lurking here and have read lots of interesting opinions and information on various physics programs as we worked through the college application process with my son. (He lurks in other areas of this site.) We've received the last results we were waiting for on his undergrad applications, and I would appreciate input on the list of acceptances we have to choose from.

He applied as a physics major, and would likely add an astronomy minor. He would like to do graduate work at an Ivy or other high-level program, eventually earning his PhD and doing work in theoretical astrophysics. He has been accepted to SUNY Stony Brook, UB (SUNY @ Buffalo), RIT, and UofR. Would your choice/rank of these programs change if money were no object, vs money being an object? (He's received various dollar amounts of merit scholarships...)

Lastly, if anyone has anything to add regarding honors college at SB or RIT, particularly as a science/physics major, that would also be very helpful.

Thank you for any info and guidance you can share!

Physics news on Phys.org
UofR? Rochester? Richmond? Regina?

Vanadium 50 said:
UofR? Rochester? Richmond? Regina?
Sorry, yes - University of Rochester and Rochester Institute of Technology.

To the OP:

I have read before that SUNY Stony Brook has an excellent reputation for math, and am also aware that SUNY Stony Brook are among the joint operators of Brookhaven National Labs (and thus provide opportunities for your son to pursue a REU or other research opportunities), so without knowing more, I would put SUNY Stony Brook as being among the better choices.

I can't really say for University of Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, or RIT.

All that being said, in many ways, it is less important where your son pursues his undergraduate studies than in his working hard and productively learning the essential course material, and doing so without getting into too much debt. So if your son has received merit-based scholarships that could significantly save money in terms of, say, tuition, residence, books, etc., that would be ultimately the best choice.

Likes PhysicsMom
My advice:

Take the free BMW over the half-price Mercedes. I don't see enough of an advantage to justify incurring debt or depleting savings. Assuming your son graduates from a school on the short list, his value four years from now when applying to graduate school will depend on 1) GPA 2) scores on the GRE (Subject and General) 3) research accomplishments 4) recommendation letters. The difference in reputation between the schools in question is very small when applying to grad school or for a job compared with the above issues. The only reason I could see to choose a significantly greater out of pocket expense of would be if you were confident they could fast track you into research opportunities that would be unlikely elsewhere.

Other factors being equal - SUNY-Stonybrook.

Likes StatGuy2000, Dr.D and PhysicsMom
I agree from the point of view of finances and STEM facilities / reputation / whatever, Stony Brook probably comes out on top. My impression is that U of Rochester probably also has a pretty good program, but as a private school it's surely much more expensive.

However, I would also take seriously any personal preference your son has, including factors like the overall campus atmosphere. Many years ago I was one of the top students in my high school class in a small steel-mill city in the Midwest. Instead of going to my Big State U which would surely have had lots of opportunities, I chose a small non-prestigious liberal-arts college in a very small town. (How small was it?... Its only traffic light was a "blinker." :biggrin:) But I had taken a chemistry course there during the summer and liked it, and then enjoyed my full four years there. And I got into a decent grad school (Michigan).

Likes Dr. Courtney and PhysicsMom
I have worked with some RIT graduates who were very, very good.

Likes PhysicsMom
University of Buffalo is a great school...Buffalo also has multiple physics degrees to choose from , BS, BA, BS in Computational Physics, BS in Mathematical Physics and a BS program in Engineering Physics (basically a BA physics with the other half from electrical engineering).

Can't go wrong with Buffalo or Stony Brook, especially the tuition, RIT and UofR are both private and quite expensive.

Likes PhysicsMom

1. What are the top schools for undergraduate physics?

Some top schools for undergraduate physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), University of California-Berkeley, Harvard University, and Stanford University.

2. How can I decide which school is the best fit for me?

It is important to consider factors such as location, academic programs, research opportunities, campus culture, and financial aid when deciding on a school. Visiting campuses and talking to current students and faculty can also help you determine which school is the best fit for you.

3. Are there any specific schools known for certain specializations within physics?

Yes, some schools may have a strong reputation in certain areas of physics, such as astrophysics, particle physics, or condensed matter physics. It is important to research the specific programs and faculty at each school to determine their strengths in your area of interest.

4. What kind of resources and support do these schools offer for physics students?

Most top schools for physics offer a variety of resources and support for their students, including well-equipped laboratories, research opportunities, academic advisors, tutoring services, and career counseling. It is important to research each school's specific resources and support systems to determine which would be the best fit for you.

5. How do these schools compare in terms of job and graduate school placement for physics majors?

Each school may have different job and graduate school placement rates for physics majors, so it is important to research their statistics and alumni outcomes. Additionally, it is important to consider the strength and reputation of each school's physics program and the networking opportunities available to students.