What is the actual 'mechanism' of friction

In summary, friction is a complex force that involves factors such as surface roughness and intermolecular forces. While roughness does play a role, there are also other factors at play and it is not fully understood by anyone. Some believe that certain materials have a stronger molecular adhesion, leading to higher levels of friction.
lntz
in mechanics and physics we are forever talking about friction and using it to solve problems.

but what actually is friction?

is it as simple as saying how rough a surface is? that doesn't sound adequate to me.

if that were the case then i'd expect all materials to have the same coefficient of friction if they were as flat as a mirror for example.

i have a feeling that it probably has something to do with interactions between electrons on the surfaces of the two materials in contact.

please can somebody describe the actual reason we feel a friction force.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roughness does play a part, but not the only part. I don't know about electrons, but as you suggest there are also intermolecular forces at play that determine friction.

Ultimately there are many factors. Books have been written on the subject, and you're certainly not the only one who doesn't uderstand it. In fact, nobody fully does.

I'm just taking a little bit of a wild stab at this, but I would assume that certain materials have a molecular adhesion or attraction which causes much more friction!

Related to What is the actual 'mechanism' of friction

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. What is the cause of friction?

The cause of friction is the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of objects that come into contact with each other. These irregularities create resistance to motion, resulting in the force of friction.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction affects motion by reducing the speed or causing the object to come to a complete stop. It also affects the direction of motion by acting in the opposite direction of the applied force.

4. What is the role of friction in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life, as it allows us to walk, drive, and use various objects without them slipping or sliding. It also helps in maintaining grip and traction in sports and prevents objects from slipping out of our hands.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Polishing and smoothing the surfaces can also reduce friction. Additionally, using ball bearings or wheels can help to reduce friction and make movement smoother.