About actually touching something and sound made by collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of touch and how it is defined in terms of the interaction between two objects. The discussion touches on the role of electrons and their repulsion in this interaction, as well as the production of sound when hitting objects. The conversation also highlights the importance of studying science in a formal setting rather than relying on pop science sources.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
https://futurism.com/why-you-can-never-actually-touch-anything/amp
We know the friction happens because of the intermolecular forces between the atoms of the surfaces in contact. When we place something on other there are places where they get come in contact there are bonding formed and due to this friction happens. The +protons attracts the -electrons.
When the surfaces are very smooth and clean the atoms of the two surfaces make bonds and the two things become one known as cold welding.
We also know from recent studies we can’t actually touch anything because of the repulsion between the electrons of the two surfaces. That is also alright. We actually hover over the surface of our chair and bed. Electrons never come in direct contact.
These all things seem consistent. All relatable.
But how do the sound is produced when we hit something like a table with our hand?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
But we also know from recent studies we can’t actually touch anything because of the repulsion between the electrons of the two surfaces.
That's arguable. One could easily define touch to be an interaction between two closely spaced objects via their repulsive electrical forces. Set up an appropriate and agreed upon set of conventions for spacing and force if you want to get a detailed definition.
rudransh verma said:
But how do the sound is produced when we hit something like a table with our hand?
The atoms in your hand repel the atoms in the table so that when your hand slams down on them the repulsion accelerates them away slightly. This causes them to slightly move until their interatomic bonds stop them and then accelerate them back towards there original positions, setting up a wave in the table. This wave then moves air molecules near the surface such that they also form a wave, which is received by your ear or a microphone to be heard or recorded.

Likes russ_watters and vanhees71
Please don’t rely on pop sci for learning anything. You’ll end up believing incredibly dumb things like “we can’t actually touch anything.” Let me ask you a question: what do you think “touching” actually is, if it’s not some sort of interaction between two objects? And if it is an interaction between two objects, does it make more sense to be attractive or repulsive? When you push your hand against a wall, does the wall push back, or does it pull you closer? The details of the interaction may be interesting to talk about, but saying “we can’t actually touch anything” is just lazy and false.

Likes nasu and vanhees71
Drakkith said:
One could easily define touch to be an interaction between two closely spaced objects via their repulsive electrical forces.
O yes! electrons are part of our body. That interaction of electrons of two surfaces can be defined as touch. And the interaction of electrons with nucleus creates friction.
TeethWhitener said:
Please don’t rely on pop sci for learning anything. You’ll end up believing incredibly dumb things like “we can’t actually touch anything.” Let me ask you a question: what do you think “touching” actually is, if it’s not some sort of interaction between two objects?
My brother told me that probably after reading it from some electronic media or print media. It got me into thinking. Finally I googled this website in OP and end up believing that we can't actually touch anything. By the way who writes on these websites. Are they not the people following the scientists and researchers?
Drakkith said:
The atoms in your hand repel the atoms in the table so that when your hand slams down on them the repulsion accelerates them away slightly.
Do you mean the accelerated electrons when come very close to the electrons of the table than usually there is a momentum transfer causing them to accelerate?

rudransh verma said:
My brother told me that probably after reading it from some electronic media or print media. It got me into thinking. Finally I googled this website in OP and end up believing that we can't actually touch anything.
You didn’t answer my questions. I’m currently touching my phone, my feet are touching the floor, and my car’s tires are touching the driveway outside, but you assert that none of this is true, so I ask you: what do you mean by “touching?” What would it take for you to say two things are touching? We can’t go any further until you can answer this question directly.

TeethWhitener said:
but you assert that none of this is true,
No. I have not asserted that. I got it right as @Drakkith and you have said.

rudransh verma said:
No. I have not asserted that. I got it right as @Drakkith and you have said.
You’ve gone from believing that things can touch to not believing that things can touch (based on something your brother heard somewhere) to believing that things can touch (based on something a few people on a website said). At this point, the problem isn’t whether things touch or not. The problem is that you need to think deeper and not just go with what some random person asserts.

Why did your mind change so easily? What do you think touching actually is? What did you think it was before? What changed your mind?

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
rudransh verma said:
My brother told me
Well that's an authoritative source!

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, phinds, russ_watters and 1 other person
TeethWhitener said:
The problem is that you need to think deeper and not just go with what some random person asserts.
What should I do?
TeethWhitener said:
Why did your mind change so easily?
He has got good marks in 10+2 standard+he is aware of the current affairs. So I thought he must be saying something important.
TeethWhitener said:
What did you think it was before?
I never thought about it.
TeethWhitener said:
What changed your mind?
A good looking website, a person who knows things. What do you suggest? It’s kind of fickle mind. :cry::cry:

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

rudransh verma said:
A good looking website, a person who knows things. What do you suggest?
You should study science at school, and not try to learn it on your own at web discussion forums. Based on your learning style, we clearly will not be able to help you as much as in-person learning in school will.

Thread will remain closed.

Likes rudransh verma

1. What is the scientific explanation for the sound made when two objects collide?

The sound made by collision is a result of vibrations produced by the objects upon impact. When two objects collide, they transfer energy to each other, causing them to vibrate at a certain frequency. These vibrations create sound waves that travel through the air and reach our ears, allowing us to hear the collision.

2. Why do some collisions make a louder sound than others?

The loudness of a collision sound depends on the force of the impact and the materials of the objects involved. Objects that are denser and have a larger surface area tend to produce louder sounds because they transfer more energy to each other upon collision.

3. Can the speed of the collision affect the sound produced?

Yes, the speed of the collision can affect the sound produced. When two objects collide at a higher speed, they transfer more energy to each other, resulting in a louder sound. This is why a car crash produces a louder sound than a gentle tap on a table.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the sound made by collision?

The shape of an object can affect the sound made by collision in two ways. First, a larger surface area can produce a louder sound as it allows for more energy transfer upon impact. Second, the shape can also affect the frequency of the sound produced. For example, a flat object hitting a round object may produce a different sound than two round objects colliding.

5. Is there a difference in the sound produced by a hard object colliding with a soft object?

Yes, there is a difference in the sound produced by a hard object colliding with a soft object. Hard objects tend to produce a sharper and louder sound, while soft objects may produce a duller and softer sound. This is because the materials of the objects absorb and transfer energy differently upon impact.