Register to reply

Could dark matter have gamma-ray absorption lines?

by johne1618
Tags: absorption, dark, gammaray, lines, matter
Share this thread:
johne1618
Mar30-12, 06:07 AM
P: 373
Are there sky surveys that perform gamma-ray absorption spectroscopy?

I was wondering if dark matter might absorb gamma radiation.

I have done a simple Bohr-atom type calculation assuming a dark matter model of a bound state of a North and South magnetic monopole and found a Rydberg energy of about a MeV. I assume that the mass of the monopoles is 1 Tev; masses less than this limit have apparently been excluded by particle accelerator experiments (to a confidence of 95%). I also assume that the monopoles have the minimum magnetic charge.
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Amazon founder's firm to build new rocket engines
Space: The final frontier... open to the public
johne1618
Mar30-12, 08:06 AM
P: 373
Quote Quote by johne1618 View Post
I have done a simple Bohr-atom type calculation assuming a dark matter model of a bound state of a North and South magnetic monopole and found a Rydberg energy of about a MeV. I assume that the mass of the monopoles is 1 Tev; masses less than this limit have apparently been excluded by particle accelerator experiments (to a confidence of 95%). I also assume that the monopoles have the minimum magnetic charge.
Actually I retract this calculation - I think I got my fine structure constant upside-down! And also GUT theories think the mass of the monopole is probably bigger than [itex]10^{16}[/itex] GeV!
Chalnoth
Mar31-12, 02:18 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,840
Are there sky surveys that perform gamma-ray absorption spectroscopy?

I was wondering if dark matter might absorb gamma radiation.

It's somewhat difficult to do spectroscopy in general with gamma rays, as least where astronomy is concerned. The number counts are just too low. But I think the general expectation is that we'd see gamma rays from dark matter annihilation, but that the dark matter won't do much if any absorption.

That said, I don't think that magnetic monopoles can work as dark matter. They'd interact far too strongly with one another and normal matter.

Chalnoth
Mar31-12, 02:18 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,840
Could dark matter have gamma-ray absorption lines?

Actually I retract this calculation - I think I got my fine structure constant upside-down! And also GUT theories think the mass of the monopole is probably bigger than [itex]10^{16}[/itex] GeV!
Quite possibly!

Register to reply