Register to reply

Anonymous to attack DNS servers tomorrow?

by Bandit127
Tags: anonymous, attack, servers
Share this thread:
Bandit127
Mar30-12, 01:01 PM
P: 186
I normally treat the "end of the world" stories in the media with a healthy dose of scepticism. I fully expect to wake up on 22-12-12, no problem for example. My own calender runs out every year and I have to buy a new one...

However this story is being covered by SANS:
http://isc.sans.edu/diary/Tomorrow+t...will+end/12868

Depending on your own level of scepticism, you might just want to ping your favourite websites to get the IP address if you plan on checking the news, weather (etc) and posts on Physics Forums (74.86.200.109) tomorrow and the worst actually does happen.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Evo
Mar30-12, 01:14 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
What on earth would be the reason for this?
rollcast
Mar30-12, 01:24 PM
P: 418
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I can't find a source but it seems they aren't planning on doing they released a statement on their twitter feed back in Febraury

EDIT

Found a source for it now.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...net-dns-attack

KrisOhn
Mar30-12, 01:24 PM
P: 269
Anonymous to attack DNS servers tomorrow?

Such a large scale attack being carried out like this is quite unlikely to succeed. I expect no change.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
For teh lulz
Pythagorean
Mar30-12, 01:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
Anonymous is more socially aware than that. This would be worse for society than letting SOPA pass, so it would be contradictory for them to support it.
Hobin
Mar30-12, 03:10 PM
P: 194
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
Anonymous is more socially aware than that. This would be worse for society than letting SOPA pass, so it would be contradictory for them to support it.
To play devil's advocate for a moment, it's possible that they'd want to do this for exactly that reason. To give society a 'taste' of what it would be like if we let SOPA et al pass.

...Though, to be perfectly honest, I hope they have a little more sense than that. If it doesn't work (and let's be realistic, it most likely won't) people will point at Anonymous and say they're just a bunch of posers. If it *does* work, most people will only start hating them more. I know I will.
TheStatutoryApe
Mar31-12, 06:19 AM
P: 1,550
Someone linked this regarding the same topic elsewhere...
SHISHKABOB
Mar31-12, 05:34 PM
P: 614
if anyone cares, 4chan happens to be down at the moment
Galteeth
Apr4-12, 02:27 PM
P: 320
one: April fools joke

two: Given the specifics of the plan were announced, if anything, I'd say it was more of a "Here's how the internet's infrastructure is potentially vulnerable, so secure it"

Register to reply