Register to reply

Setting up a Teacher website questions

by Head_Unit
Tags: setting, teacher, website
Share this thread:
Head_Unit
Mar30-12, 02:07 PM
P: 29
Hello, this doesn't seem to quite fit into any of the forums, but I'm hoping to find some help.

I want to set up a website as a teacher for my students to look at. I'd like to
- Post general interest stuff
- Post solved homework and tests
- Let the students log on to do the above and most of all look at their grades
- To that end, I want to post grades assignment-by-assignment. If there was a website service that could automatically sync to EZ Grade or such, THAT would be the killer app.

Any comments about all this are appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Borek
Mar30-12, 02:40 PM
Admin
P: 23,597
No idea about the grades part, but everything else requires just a minimum knowledge about HTML, or a CMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system). Zillions of places offering hosting for free or for a very small fee.
Head_Unit
Apr14-12, 02:37 PM
There are a lot of places that will host for you. It's rather overwhelming. But as a new teacher, I don't want to mess around with this much. I'm willing to pay a fee BUT for my money I want my life made very easy:
- Really easy to upload presentations, homework, etc
- Really easy to upload grades. Or WAY better, sync automatically to my grade book...

boomtrain
Apr17-12, 04:59 PM
P: 23
Setting up a Teacher website questions

try making a google site? it's something you could have up and running in a few hours and it's free:

https://sites.google.com/?pli=1
fss
Apr18-12, 01:04 AM
P: 1,185
I'd just use a wordpress install, honestly. It'd do anything but the grades, but grades can be posted with an Excel sheet and having each student choose a unique identifier.
Head_Unit
Apr18-12, 02:21 AM
Do you mean like instead of student names, have them come up with their own names like "Birdie" or "#@$@" or "FlyGirl"?

Interesting idea. I'll have to check if that would meet confidentiality requirements, since some students could figure it out (only 1 kid aces a test, it's easy to spot them). If there is even a clear policy about that...

Register to reply