So, I Accidently Made Friends With The Meanest Math Teacher....

In summary, the teacher had a concentration camp tattoo and he was always nicer to the student after that.
BigDon
At Parkway Jr. High.

Back in the olden days.

He actually taught higher levels but was doing the working retirement thing. He was the first math teacher to demand adult level perfection in our work. One does have to get there eventually and he felt it should be sooner than later. (This was seventh and eighth grades).

I was always on this man's do-do list, despite sitting in the front row and raising my hand a lot.

And then one day I was stuck after class with three or four of my less disciplined contemporaries, some of whom would probably be considered clinical cases nowadays, (as a matter of fact I'm sure of it), and while my attention was on my graded paper one of the other students suddenly exclaimed, "You have a tattoo!" as the teacher handed him his paper and his shirt sleeve rode up.

I looked over at the teacher's arm and there was a 5 or 6 digit number tattooed there. (For you youngsters, this was a Nazi concentration camp registration tattoo.)

I was so shocked that after a moment of genuine horripilation I exclaimed;

"I know what that is!"

And then another part of my brain kicked in suddenly and I realized I didn't want to tell all the little sociopaths around me just what that meant. God (and the devil) only know what they could have come up with with this information.

So as the teacher squinted hard at me and the others looked on with expectation, I wisely kept my mouth shut.

He was always nicer to me after that. Not what you would call friendly per se, he just no longer groused at me, which in itself was noticeable to the others. That and later when no hint of a rumor of his past came to light amongst the student body, he would occasionally smile at me when I greeted him, also uncharacteristic of him.

• Wow
Likes dlgoff, mcastillo356, Charles Link and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
Say what you will about Prof Walter Lewin, he is a very good teacher. Lest we forget, he has something to say about the holocaust:

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes pinball1970 and russ_watters

Wow, that's a really powerful and unexpected experience to have in junior high. It's amazing how one moment can completely change the dynamic between a teacher and a student. It sounds like this teacher was really strict but also had a lot of wisdom and life experience to share. I bet he had some incredible stories to tell. It's great that you were able to keep his secret and earn his respect in the process. Thanks for sharing this story!

1. How did you accidentally make friends with the meanest math teacher?

It all started when I was waiting in the teacher's lounge and the mean math teacher walked in. We struck up a conversation and I discovered that we had similar interests outside of math.

2. What made the math teacher so mean?

The math teacher had a reputation for being strict and demanding in the classroom. However, I found out that this was just a facade and outside of the classroom, they were actually quite friendly and funny.

3. Did your friendship with the math teacher affect your grades or performance in class?

No, my friendship with the math teacher did not affect my grades or performance in class. They were just as fair and impartial towards me as they were with other students.

4. How did your classmates react to your friendship with the mean math teacher?

At first, some of my classmates were surprised and even a little jealous that I was friends with the mean math teacher. But as they got to know the teacher outside of class, they also became friends with them.

5. Do you think it's important for students to have a good relationship with their teachers?

Absolutely. Having a good relationship with your teachers can make the learning experience more enjoyable and can also help you excel in your studies. It's important to remember that teachers are people too and it's always beneficial to have a positive relationship with them.