GRE Scores & Admissions Decisions: Physics General & General Tests

In summary, GRE scores are often used as a criteria for elimination in admissions decisions, but they are not heavily weighted in comparison to research experience and recommendations. The GRE serves as a standardized test for all applicants and can help balance out differences in GPA from different departments. Some schools may place more importance on the GRE General test.
HunterR
Hello all,
Does anyone have any experience with admissions committee decisions regarding GRE scores? How much weight (over GPA or even research experience) do they carry on the admissions decision? (Physics General and/or General test)
I have very strong feelings against the GRE's. I find it ridiculous that after earning a 3.95 GPA in Physics I have to "show" again I'm capable of "doing" physics. But that's just my opinion.
Any comments?

All the best,
HunterR :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, the GRE scores are used only as criteria for elimination, and not criteria for comparison. If either of your GRE scores are terrible, you will not be accepted, but I don't think the score itself goes into some kind of a formula to determine your qualification. More important are your research experience and references/recommendations.

The reason you are taking the GRE physics test, despite having a 3.95 GPA is that the GRE is a standardized test that everyone takes and allows for a uniform asessment. If someone comes from a department that is draconian with grading, then s/he has an opportunity to prove that the GPA being low is a false indicator, by scoring high on the GRE. The opposite holds true too. If you have a fantastic GPA but do terribly on the GRE, then your GPA starts to look suspicious.

And this may only be a rumor, but I've heard that the UC schools give a little more importance to the GRE General test than most other.

Hello HunterR,

I completely understand your frustration with the GRE scores and their role in the admissions decision. While they do carry some weight, they are not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your GPA and research experience are also important factors in the decision-making process.

In my experience, a strong GPA in physics and a solid research background can outweigh a lower GRE score. Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded candidates who not only have a strong academic record but also have the potential to excel in their graduate studies.

That being said, it is always important to aim for a competitive GRE score to strengthen your application. But do not let the GRE scores discourage you or overshadow your other accomplishments. Admissions committees understand that standardized tests do not always accurately reflect a student's potential and abilities.

Best of luck in your admissions journey! Don't let the GRE scores bring you down. Keep highlighting your strengths and showcasing your passion for physics in your application.

1. What is a good GRE score for admission into a physics graduate program?

There is no specific number that can be considered a "good" GRE score for physics graduate programs. Each program has its own specific requirements and considers multiple factors in admissions decisions. It is important to research the average GRE scores for the programs you are interested in and aim to score at or above those averages.

2. How important are GRE scores in the admissions process for physics graduate programs?

GRE scores are just one factor that admissions committees consider when evaluating applicants. Other factors such as undergraduate grades, letters of recommendation, and research experience also play a significant role. While a strong GRE score can certainly help your application, it is not the only factor that will determine your admission.

3. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, keep in mind that some graduate programs will consider all of your GRE scores, not just your highest score. It is important to carefully prepare and study for the GRE before retaking it to ensure you improve your score.

4. Do physics graduate programs prefer the General GRE or the Physics GRE?

This varies from program to program. Some programs may require both the General and Physics GRE, while others may only require one or the other. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine which exams you need to take.

5. How can I improve my GRE scores for physics graduate programs?

There are several ways to improve your GRE scores, including studying and practicing with official GRE practice materials, seeking help from a tutor or taking a prep course, and familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the exam. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively during the exam.