Gre Yeah

by HunterR
Tags: yeah
Share this thread:
HunterR
Jan10-05, 06:33 PM
P: 1
Hello all,
Does anyone have any experience with admissions committee decisions regarding GRE scores? How much weight (over GPA or even research experience) do they carry on the admissions decision? (Physics General and/or General test)
I have very strong feelings against the GRE's. I find it ridiculous that after earning a 3.95 GPA in Physics I have to "show" again I'm capable of "doing" physics. But thats just my opinion.
Any comments?

All the best,
HunterR
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Gokul43201
Jan10-05, 07:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
In my opinion, the GRE scores are used only as criteria for elimination, and not criteria for comparison. If either of your GRE scores are terrible, you will not be accepted, but I don't think the score itself goes into some kind of a formula to determine your qualification. More important are your research experience and references/recommendations.

The reason you are taking the GRE physics test, despite having a 3.95 GPA is that the GRE is a standardized test that everyone takes and allows for a uniform asessment. If someone comes from a department that is draconian with grading, then s/he has an opportunity to prove that the GPA being low is a false indicator, by scoring high on the GRE. The opposite holds true too. If you have a fantastic GPA but do terribly on the GRE, then your GPA starts to look suspicious.

And this may only be a rumor, but I've heard that the UC schools give a little more importance to the GRE General test than most other.

Register to reply