Register to reply

The easiest way to standard model

by welatiger
Tags: easiest, model, standard
Share this thread:
welatiger
Apr5-12, 10:14 AM
P: 82
what is the the easiest way to learn standard model theory ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
bapowell
Apr6-12, 02:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,676
That probably depends on your prerequisite knowledge. Have you taken quantum mechanics yet? Quantum field theory?
welatiger
Apr7-12, 02:28 AM
No i take only an introduction to quantum mechanics

arivero
Apr7-12, 08:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,893
The easiest way to standard model

I do not see how it depends in the prerrequisites. Oh wait, of course, if he has learnt QFT, then the easiest way to learn QFT is to sit down and remember that you already know it.

What about asking what curriculum should a career have if the main goal is only to best the Standard Model.
Naty1
Apr8-12, 12:35 PM
P: 5,632
get a book, or take a course

turn off ipad, radio,tv, etc....

study
welatiger
Apr8-12, 01:07 PM
you're are absolutely right
i get "Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Matthew Robinson
so ? any comment
Lapidus
Apr12-12, 08:18 AM
P: 283
Quote Quote by welatiger View Post
you're are absolutely right
i get "Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Matthew Robinson
so ? any comment
Terrific book for newcomers! I predict that will be one of the most popular introduction books to QFT and the Standard Model in the years to come. Also, they often refer to Srednicki's book which is one of the standard texts in QFT nowadays. So you can continue your studies with Srednicki's book after you have finished Robinson. Srednicki is a bit weak in given conceptual insights, something were Robinson is excellent with. So both books complement each other perfectly.

Note, there are QFT books and particle physics books, both aim at explaining high energy physics. Particle physic books skip a lot of the nitty gritty theoritical details and will get you faster to the Standard Model.
Naty1
Apr14-12, 08:38 AM
P: 5,632
"Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Matthew Robinson
At $86.60 at Amazon, it had better be good. one copy left.
bapowell
Apr14-12, 08:57 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,676
Quote Quote by arivero View Post
I do not see how it depends in the prerrequisites. Oh wait, of course, if he has learnt QFT, then the easiest way to learn QFT is to sit down and remember that you already know it.

What about asking what curriculum should a career have if the main goal is only to best the Standard Model.
Because that would be an entirely different question. If prerequisites aren't relevant, then what would you say to a third grader interested in learning string theory? You'd recommend they pick up Zwiebach?

It's hard to tell from your vague sarcasm whether you are implying that QFT and the SM are one in the same: they aren't. See Griffiths for a way to teach the symmetries and interactions of the SM without a mention of the word "field." And talk to anybody who does condensed matter theory if they know what a quantum field is, and then ask them if they know what the SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) Standard Model is. My guess is that the answers to these questions will not be the same.

Register to reply