Videos about mathematics?

by John M
Tags: mathematics, videos
John M
Apr13-12, 02:33 PM
P: n/a
Hi all,
I'd like to hear skilled mathematicians (physics otherwise) in some interesting (read: presenting potentially original point of views; but that's not necessary) videos.
What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Char. Limit
Apr13-12, 02:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,930
Books.
John M
Apr14-12, 03:52 AM
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
Books.
That's not the kind of effort I was looking for. Thanks for the seconds you took to reply anyways.
--

Yesterday I was watching a lecture by Robert May with some interesting points in quadratic equations, even though he was addressing the general public.

Char. Limit
Apr14-12, 03:54 AM
PF Gold

Videos about mathematics?

Honestly I was hoping more interesting people would reply to this. My post was mainly a bump, with a possible alternate explanation of "books are usually better than videos". Come on people, John M isn't the only one interested here!
dodo
Apr14-12, 04:01 AM
P: 688
One of the reasons for the lack of enthusiastic responses could be that this thread is perceived as something that Google could answer. Here is one quick example:
http://www.sms.cam.ac.uk/search?qt_t...qt=mathematics

That said, I'd also like to hear about personal recommendations, which will always have some more criterion than a blind search.

Edit: Hmmm... add TED to the blind search part of this post: http://www.ted.com/search?q=mathematics
John M
Apr14-12, 04:04 AM
Google can't, unfortunately, give motivated or valuable answers to such a question. That's exactly why I'm here, humbly asking for recommendations. :)
Abod
Apr14-12, 05:32 AM
P: 6
This "might" be helpful: http://theeducationchannel.info/

not much stuff there, he's a maths and physics tutor in London, and this is one of his many websites.
Pythagorean
Apr15-12, 04:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,207
Lots of universities put open lectures online
genericusrnme
Apr15-12, 09:33 AM
P: 615
I second books

Mathematics is a very broad subject, maybe you could tell us what you are particularly interested in or even what level of maths you currently know.
Pythagorean
Apr15-12, 10:17 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,207
I like chalkboard work. There's something about watching words get written that makes it stick better.

Also, books are linear. Lectures can be nonlinear.
John M
Apr18-12, 03:37 PM
Quote Quote by genericusrnme View Post
I second books

Mathematics is a very broad subject, maybe you could tell us what you are particularly interested in or even what level of maths you currently know.
Go ahead with some books titles then. If no videos, I'll welcome books.
I can't pick up a single topic. I'd be interested in the links between them instead, ranging from number theory to analysis. What I'm looking for is some original (if possible) and deep links, but really, I love mathematics and can't just pick a single topic. :)

Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
Lectures can be nonlinear.
And if the lecturer keeps coherence that makes it even more pleasurable.
Char. Limit
Apr18-12, 03:39 PM
PF Gold
I'm reading Riemann's Zeta Function by H.M. Edwards right now. It's a pretty interesting book, although it's quite deep. I can usually see where most of it's coming from now that I'm on the fourth reading though.

Warning: Without a good calculus knowledge, you will. Not. Get. It.
genericusrnme
Apr18-12, 07:34 PM
P: 615
Quote Quote by John M View Post
Go ahead with some books titles then. If no videos, I'll welcome books.
I can't pick up a single topic. I'd be interested in the links between them instead, ranging from number theory to analysis. What I'm looking for is some original (if possible) and deep links, but really, I love mathematics and can't just pick a single topic. :)
Give the Bourbaki books a go, they're pretty good (especially the first book on set theory).

Register to reply