Video on imaginary numbers and some queries

In summary, the conversation discusses the historical aversion to negative numbers in mathematics and the significance of having all coefficients in a quadratic equation be positive. It also mentions the story of del Ferro and Fior, and their challenge to Tartaglia in solving depressed cubic equations. The conversation ends with a question about the origin of certain equations mentioned in the video. It is suggested that the equations are derived from the cubic formula for finding roots, and that the mathematicians of the time were limited by their beliefs and lack of advanced mathematical tools.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I was watching the following video. I found some points confusing. Could you please help me to understand the gaps? Thanks, in advance!

Question 1:

1636457767086.png

Around 4:22, the video says the following.
So for those mathematicians, negative numbers didn't exist. You could subtract, that is find the difference between two positive quantities, but you couldn't have a negative answer or negative coefficients. Mathematicians were so averse to negative numbers that there was no single quadratic equation. Instead, there were six different versions arranged so that the coefficients were always positive.

I don't understand why having all the coefficients positive was so important. For example, the equation shown below has one negative coefficient and has one solution positive and one negative. Okay, you can throw out the negative solution but you're still left with one 'good' solution.

13x²-7x=7
gif&s=21.gif

gif&s=21.gif

Source: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+13x^2-7x-7=0,xQuestion 2:

1636458322186.png

Around 6.08 the video says the following.
For nearly two decades, del Ferro keeps his secret. Only on his deathbed in 1526 does he let it slip to his student Antonio Fior. Fior is not as talented a mathematician as his mentor, but he is young and ambitious. And after del Ferro's death, he boasts about his own mathematical prowess and specifically, his ability to solve the depressed cubic. On February 12, 1535, Fior challenges mathematician Niccolo Fontana Tartaglia
who has recently moved to Fior's hometown of Venice.

As is the custom, in the challenge Tartaglia gives a very discernment of 30 problems to Fior. Fior gives 30 problems to Tartaglia, all of which are depressed cubics. Each mathematician has 40 days to solve the 30 problems they've been given. Fior can't solve a single problem. Tartaglia solves all 30 of Fior's depressed cubics in just two hours.Even if Fior was not a good mathematician, it's still surprising that he wasn't able to solve a single problem in spite of knowing an algorithm to solve depressed cubic. Why was it so?Question 3:

1636458408988.png

Where are those equations in green coming from? Could you please help me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) I'm sure you can read about it and find out. It depresses me to see these centuries of stumbling in the dark, blind to the power of mathematics. If they could just have opened their minds...

2) No idea.

3) I assume those are the equations for ##a, b## that come from the cubic formula for the roots. You'll need to work through the problem yourself.

Likes PainterGuy
1) They didn't even believe in negative numbers, only positive numbers. It's not just the negative solution that was a problem for them, they didn't believe in negative numbers in the problem statement. The number 0 was not even discovered until around 650 A.D.
2) You are over-estimating their capability back then. Equations as we know it did not exist. They only had verbal statements of the process to solve a problem. Any process had to use only real, observable, objects. So if the process used imaginary things, it was not conceived.
3) It looks like the equations came from the 2 and the ##\sqrt {-121} = \sqrt {-(11^2)}## in the video. Those people were very clever and worked very hard to solve these problems. I will not even try to reinvent their methods.

Likes PainterGuy and PeroK

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1. They are used to represent the square roots of negative numbers, which cannot be expressed as real numbers.

2. How are imaginary numbers used in video?

Imaginary numbers are used in video to represent complex numbers, which are used to describe the movement and rotation of objects in 3D space. They are also used in video compression algorithms to reduce file sizes and improve video quality.

3. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

The main difference between real and imaginary numbers is that real numbers can be plotted on a number line and are used to represent quantities that can be measured, while imaginary numbers cannot be plotted on a number line and are used to represent quantities that cannot be measured, such as the square root of -1.

4. How do imaginary numbers relate to the real world?

Imaginary numbers may seem abstract, but they have many real-world applications. They are used in engineering, physics, and other sciences to model and solve complex problems, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics.

5. Can imaginary numbers be negative?

No, imaginary numbers cannot be negative. The imaginary unit, i, is defined as the square root of -1, so any multiple of i will always be a positive number. However, when imaginary numbers are combined with real numbers, they can result in negative values.