Register to reply

How does phase affect the Nyquist Diagram - imaginary axis, how should it look?

by thomas49th
Tags: affect, axis, diagram, imaginary, nyquist, phase
Share this thread:
thomas49th
Apr18-12, 11:04 AM
P: 656
Please consider

http://gyazo.com/e5c5b4f7808a63e7e664440259ac3058

I agree with all notes made on that slide, but I don't actually get how they constructed the diagram from that? I understand that they line represents frequency so going to 0 to infinity means the line would travel from -0.5 to 0, but HOW DO THEY KNOW what the size values the curve peak at on the imaginary axis???

Further, it says phase decreases from -180 to -270, I agree from the transfer function, but how does this look on the Nyquist diagram? How does phase affect the Nyquist diagram?

Thanks

EDIT: Apologies if this may seem like a double post
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
gneill
Apr19-12, 07:56 AM
Mentor
P: 11,689
Quote Quote by thomas49th View Post
Please consider

http://gyazo.com/e5c5b4f7808a63e7e664440259ac3058

I agree with all notes made on that slide, but I don't actually get how they constructed the diagram from that? I understand that they line represents frequency so going to 0 to infinity means the line would travel from -0.5 to 0, but HOW DO THEY KNOW what the size values the curve peak at on the imaginary axis???

Further, it says phase decreases from -180 to -270, I agree from the transfer function, but how does this look on the Nyquist diagram? How does phase affect the Nyquist diagram?

Thanks

EDIT: Apologies if this may seem like a double post
Perhaps you should consider reducing the given transfer function into real and imaginary components. So then:
[tex]\frac{1}{(jω + 1)(jω + 2)(jω - 1)} = \frac{-2}{(1 + ω^2)(4 + ω^2)} + j\frac{ω}{(1 + ω^2)(4 + ω^2)} [/tex]
This should help pick out any particular relationships or extrema of the real and imaginary components, as well as phase relationships since ##\phi = tan^{-1}(Im/Re)##.

Register to reply